Author Topic: What do you regret getting rid of?  (Read 10247 times)

Offline Fastlady

What do you regret getting rid of?
« on: June 27, 2011, 07:14:19 AM »
As a follow on to the thread about the 'most ridiculous thing you brought out to Turkey' (still reeling about Apple Tea, Scunner!).... and as an aid to Supacabby who's selling up in the UK and moving out here, it made me wonder what other members had sold/dumped/given away, prior to The Big Move, which they later had to replace with an inferior quality, more expensive substitute.  

I have suggested to Mark that he hangs onto his basic tool kit (that sounds almost smutty!), and also cutlery - both of which can be bought here but tend to be cheap 'made in PRC' rubbish... what else would you suggest he should hold on to?

Offline tony jenkins

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 07:23:16 AM »
His Taxi  :)

Offline hubblebubble

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 07:48:27 AM »
I am really glad we brought all our kitchen equipment, toolbox and high thread count bedding!
The digital luggage scales for returning visitors are  pretty essential and a couple of uk extension leads which we put a turkish plug on are also useful for visitors.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 08:00:47 AM »
Six years ago we had four single beds bought brand new as we thought we would rent out our place. When we quickly decided not to rent, we decided we wanted two double beds.  We found a Furniture Shop where the guy had some lovely big handmade double beds, we bought two, but being very new to the area we did not know what to do with the four singles.  The shop owner said he would take them away and sell them for us and give us the money on our next visit.  On our next visit the Furniture shop had gone.  I so regret handing over the beds as we could have donated them to one of the local charities.

Offline mac2010

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:01:18 AM »
I regret not bring my quilts over.When I managed to find good ones for the winters they were very expensive and not as good as what you can find in the uk.Also A years worth of Johnsmiths smooth.:D

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 08:20:02 AM »
When I go back to UK to get the student house ready I'm going to swap the horrible cheese grater from the Sunday market for my lovely IKEA one.

Offline johnboy1967

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 08:27:13 AM »
we wish we had brought over some sheets.... As the ones here are useless, they shrink in the wash and are then really creased...! and never fit the size of bed we have...!!

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 09:53:30 AM »
Thank you to Fastlady for starting this topic, another bottle of Baileys in the luggage I guess now!

I (& many others I'm sure) will benefit greatly from everyones experience, I've removed the spare cutlery from the charity shop box & it's now packed in the Calis freight box to go out in August!

It will be interesting to see what else I bring that I never thought I'd need!

As for you Mr Jenkins, my taxi is most definatley NOT coming with me, 60 hours + a week for many years, it's time for it to sleep lots, just like it's old owner lol.

Offline tony jenkins

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 10:49:45 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Supacabby

As for you Mr Jenkins, my taxi is most definatley NOT coming with me, 60 hours + a week for many years, it's time for it to sleep lots, just like it's old owner lol.

:):D ;)

Offline joy2

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 10:50:28 AM »
Thanks for starting the new list Janet, I have already made a long list of things to bring back with me in August.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf