Author Topic: Walking Trails  (Read 4437 times)

Offline Sinbad

Walking Trails
« on: February 09, 2005, 10:59:24 AM »
Does anyone have any recommended off road routes for walks in the region that range from 5 to 10 miles and have they done the walks themselves.

Rob

Offline canalman

• Aged Headbanger
Walking Trails
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 12:52:44 PM »
Hi Rob, I know it's not exactly what you are asking but last time over I decided to walk along the coast path into Fethiye while Sue took the dolmus. It took me half and hour and was reasonably peaceful.
Pete

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Walking Trails
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 13:37:51 PM »
Sinbad,

There's a book available locally called All Dressed Up and Know Where to Go. It contains details of about a dozen walks in the Fethiye area. I've done a couple of them and they are quite good. There are also a number of walks that you can take around Kaya Koyu and I would be happy to guide you for all or part of the way if you want.

Offline amca

Walking Trails
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 19:35:43 PM »
dolmus to kaya village ....... path marked  Fethiye ...... takes you up through the hills and down into Fethiye ....... 8/10km ..... not in summer!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
Walking Trails
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 05:27:19 AM »
But,

Don't take the road, follow the old Greek trails. They're on the opposite side of the mountain to the road. Much more interesting and you don't have the traffic to contend with, plus there is a lot more shade.

Offline lolly

Walking Trails
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 07:39:15 AM »
We did the route Amca mentions but in reverse last May (Fethiye to Kaya)it took about 2 hours after frequent stops for water(essential!!!). Brilliant walk lovely scenery through the forests but watch out for the mad woman trying to retrieve her goats she frightened us to death! You can hear her for miles but don't see her till she jumps out at you on the top bend. Don't think it helped the fact that the goats didn't want to be found!! Recommend the walk to anyone but its a fair old slog you need good footwear and plenty of water. Its well worth the effort especially when you stand at the top and see Kaya village stretched out in front of you.
Lolly x

Offline Sinbad

Walking Trails
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 09:12:27 AM »
The trails round Kaya Koyu and Kaya village to Fethiye sound interesting and just the sort of walks to consider. Sue and I did a 2-week holiday in Samos a couple of years ago and then 2 weeks in Crete, both with Ramblers Holidays. Both were very good.
Going on the old trails gives you good understanding of the country and you see lots of interesting people and sights along the way that you are more likely to miss when driving.
For water we carry a couple of 2lt bottles in the rucksacks with  pipes coming from them and over the shoulder- helps to ensure we don't scimp on liquids.
Rob

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
Walking Trails
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 19:46:08 PM »
Have you had the chance to have a go at the Lycian Way yet? It starts just below the Montana Pine Resort in Ovacik. It's only about 500 kilometres! LOL

Offline david craig

Walking Trails
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 17:59:20 PM »
hello everyone. has enyone gone to butterfly valley.sounds lovely.we would like to go there.hope somone can help.we go to turkey on sat 30 april. yippe. 8) :)

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Walking Trails
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 19:23:20 PM »
We were there a few years back. Stopped for a while during the 12 island boat trip. A few hippy types had some tents pitched and to be honest I didn't like it too much.  
May have changed for the better now though so don't let me put you off.
Anne

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf