Author Topic: Manuca Honey for acid reflux.- Anyone else trying?  (Read 5325 times)

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
Manuca Honey for acid reflux.- Anyone else trying?
« on: April 10, 2007, 18:01:56 PM »
Just wondered if anyone else was still trying the Manuca Honey for acid reflux & ulcers?
Thought I'd update you all on my WONDERFUL progress with the Manuca.

Started taking on the 22nd February - about 7 weeks ago. Initially I was cutting down on the Omeprazole (which previously I'd only been able to leave off for a max. of 36hrs without acid coming up). I took my last Omeprazole on 2nd March - I really wish I hadn't taken it as it seemed to help produce more acid.

For 1st 3 weeks I took Manuca 3 times a day, about a teaspoonful on a piece of toast. For the following 3 weeks I probably only took twice a day, 3 times if I felt a bit acidy. I'm now down to once or twice a day only as I'm also trying to tske Marmite to help me with those pesky mossies - they love me!

I've had NO acid reflux symptoms whatsoever for at least a month & believe me I was really bad prior to taking the Manuca, if I had forgotten to take the Omeprazole previously I'd really know it within a very short time. I don't need to elaborate for any of you that have this problem.

I've bought a few jars to take out to Turkey with me & will continue taking 1-2 teaspoons for 3 months as everything I've researched has suggested.
I KNOW I'm off the proton inhibitors for good already. Just wondering how anyone else is getting on?
Linda

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 18:39:09 PM »
interesting topic linda, what about the marmite do you out it on or eat it, I have mentioned it before, get yourself some expedition 50, it works honest, dont be tempted to buy the 100 as its far too strong, even for calis,

Offline lindacarl

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 18:55:35 PM »
Expedition 50 & 100 does absolutely nothing for me I'm afraid. I've tried just about everything for mossies in the last 30yrs. My blood is too sweet for them which is why eating marmite seems to help. I'd only spread it on if I needed some fake tan.
Can we keep this to Manuca please as we've had numerous posts about Mossies in the past?

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 19:26:52 PM »
you mentioned marmite in your previous post, i only responded, but good luck anyway.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 21:25:06 PM »
I bought the manuca but it didn't work for me.  I have taken it a couple of times before bed if I had something spicy to eat and had a bit of indigestion.  It has worked at that time. Two teaspoonfuls straight does the trick.

Offline lindacarl

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 23:36:23 PM »
Heather - sorry to hear that. Were you taking a good teaspoonful at least 3 times every day? How long did you try it for as it's not a really quick fix? In the beginning I probably took more than 3 tsps a day as I took when I felt the acidity coming on. After 2 weeks I was down to a max. of 3 tsps a day unless I ate something I knew I shouldn't. Initially I was getting through a jar every 4-5 days but that quickly went down after 2-3 jars to 1 jar a week & now I'm using about 1 jar a fortnight.

A friend of mine has also been trying it & she's experienced the same as me. The 1st 2 weeks are the worst as you feel sometimes as if you're getting acidic but if you take an extra spoonful it never materialises into anything bad. Very occassionally now I get a slightly acidic feeling - but it is VERY slight & it's usually because I've forgotten to take any Manuca - a spoonful & it does go fairly quickly. I find the Manuca MUCH quicker than the Omeprazole ever was in stopping the symptoms. I can't believe sometimes that it's taken away all that awful pain, acid regurgitation etc, so quickly.

Laffa - sorry if I offended you - didn't mean to, it's just we've had so many threads on mossies & didn't want this turning into another - my fault for mentioning the marmite.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 23:44:43 PM »
I am forgetful with medication.  If I don't take omeprazole before eating it doesn't work. If I don't take it, my stomach reminds me within hours.
I was the same with the honey It didn,t work after I had eaten and I kept forgetting to take it at the right time.   It is still easier to remember to take one pill than carry honey with me wherever I go.

Offline sannyrut

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 11:54:31 AM »
I bought the product because I prefer not to take prescribed drugs if I can find an alternative remedy.Like Heather,I often forget to take medication.I know the feeling too, when you wake up at night with a throat and mouth full of acid.Yuk.The Manuca has helped,but when you have an acid free period,people tend to think that they are cured and stop taking it.Myself that is[:o)]

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 13:41:12 PM »
I have been trying but, to be honest, I haven't taken the honey regularly enough. I feel that I would immediately have problems if I knocked the Omeprazole off. Sue works at Tesco and has found that as well as the Manuca Honey sold from the shelves with the other jams and preserves they actually sell one at the pharmacy which is called Medhoney. It is also marked "active 10+" so it shoud be the same as the other. Also I think it is the same price.
Ken

Offline lindacarl

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 13:48:59 PM »
Yea, I know I need to find something else for forgetfulness - I'm the same. I thought it was supposed to be 'with age comes wisdom'? Folic acid is supposed to be good for forgetfulness so I'll eat plenty of spinach in Turkey.

I have toast in the morning so I've gotten out of the habit of using butter & just use honey now. You do need to take Manuca for 3 months to get rid of the H Pylori. I don't know whether I'm wrong cutting it down to 1-2 times a day but it does work for me. If I ever need more I will take it but I've never woken up with acid in my mouth since I took the last Omeprazole. I'm very happy with my progress as just before I started taking I came down with Bursitus in my right hip, hip problems are awful & I don't want bad hip problems later. I'm down for physiotherapy the day after I come back from Turkey.

I'm going to be like Pooh bear & eat honey. As an incentive to myself to take I ordered 6 from Tesco home delivery service after I'd gone to my local & they were out (I knew I shouldn't have told my doc. about it before I'd finished with it!) It's expensive so I'm not going to let it go to waste. I also enjoy it.

Keep taking the honey & hopefully we'll all be acid free soon.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf