Author Topic: Health Care & Repatriation  (Read 2832 times)

Offline BM06

Health Care & Repatriation
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 20:08:12 PM »
Ovacikpeedoff, I thought you was living in France with your wife and dogs for the quarantine period [?]

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 20:40:03 PM »
I have just returned to the UK to sort our house for their return. I now spend more time in the UK than I do in France.It was not our intention until the tenants we had decided to wreck the house.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 20:42:43 PM by Ovacikpeedoff »

Offline Julesp

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 21:02:16 PM »
Personally I would be very depressed if was ill and had to go UK for treatment, much prefer to make sure I have health cover here and as I dont pay UK tax anymore Why should I think I am entitled to free treatment at the cost of the NHS, many friends always seem to be popping back Uk for treatment,or thinking they can rely on holiday insurance to cover them even though they live here permanently, I think if needed they will find out about the small print. The cost of the flights and accomodation alone must be getting near to the cost of treatment here, unless you are unfortunate enough to get a serious medical problem.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 22:28:19 PM »
Hi Loz. What part of the UK were you in?

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 22:45:28 PM »
Loz - these are not rumours but wording taken directly from the British authorities. Fact is if you live outside the UK for 3 months or more a year then you will not be automatically allowed to use the NHS - it's down in black and white. You were fortunate that the health authority did not follow the written guidelines. Others have found they do in different parts of the country.

Offline Eric

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 23:00:55 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by loz

I have answered this previously, so here we go again.

This is taken from a previous topic
{A Link to an old CBF topic was here - no longer available}35096&whichpage=6&SearchTerms=doctor

quote:

Let me quash this rumour; we arrived back in the UK 3rd April 2009, the following week I went to the local Doctors surgery and asked if there was a problem with us registering for medical treatment as we had been out of the country for nearly 6 years.

The reply was that there was not a problem at all, no extra cost, and we are British citizens and this is our entitlement no matter how long we had been out of the country, the records were recalled to the surgery and within that week Gordon had his appointment with the consultant and also had x-rays.

It was the same with the dentist, we were given a number and they found us a NHS dentist local enough to register with, advised any emergency appointments to go to the hospital, emergency was no cost.

I understand that some people have returned and been refused or asked for payment, I looked into this matter, it turns out that a minority of health authorities will try it on (why not many use it and have never lived or contributed in the UK) but one thing you can be sure of is in an emergency you will never be turned away, asked for payment or insurance first, or need to pay for an ambulance.

This is TRUE not a rumour.
:D

You are correct in what you say, look at the regulations; you were returning to the UK permanently.  In this case you are entitled to the treatment.  If you live abroad for over 3months of the year you are not entitled.  If you live in Turkey and want to pop back for treatment you have to pay.  If you get away with it you are lucky, most of us do, but by the letter of the law you are not entitled to free treatment.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 23:35:14 PM »
Anne we are in Hampshire.

Like I stated previously, I was totally honest with the Authorities, again I don't think it is British citizens they are so much concerned with.  As the document states "guidelines" and upto the individual health authorities.  

Yes we returned to the UK permanently, but this was never a question that was asked, not once did the question come up "are you returning"?  now we could have, and have, at the end of it all I am British, not Turkish, French or Chinese, I hold a British passport, If I choose to live in Turkey for months on end (which I will not be putting myself through) or go on a world cruise for 6 months, Britian is my 'mother' country just like it is yours, and she will be here for you should you need her, even though it is run by Numpties.

You have to be away (for a long time) to fully appreciate her, services, countryside and many others far too numerous to mention.  

(since returning to the UK we have moved, changed doctors, and informed them that we were leaving the country for over 3 months, welcomed back with open arms, even sent us off with enough medication to see us through, with a checkup on our return).  

Offline posleeds

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 09:37:14 AM »
As an ex-NHS employee(25 years in both Hospitals & General Practice) may I confirm that the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing, regardless of rules & regulations!
GP's welcome new patients onto their books...the bigger their patient list size the more they get paid! If you are out of the country-all the better for them-they will not be stung for having to prescribe medication,refer to secondary care in hospitals, etc....but they will still be paid for you being on their patient list!
Providing you give a UK address (currently within their catchment area, though not necessarily your own address),an NHS number & look like a UK citizen you shouldn't have a problem.
A lot of the regulations are aimed more at foreigners who come to live in the UK legitimately, then ship the rest of their families in for "free" treatment!!!
A & E in hospitals...just book in- DO NOT mention that you have been living abroad.
Hospital treatment...you can't just walk in...need GP referral hence try & stay on their books.
My advice is to KEEP QUIET.....your GP will not know you have left the country unless you tell them...
Like me, most of you will have paid your NI over the years-why shouldn't we be allowed treatment when we need it!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf