Author Topic: Steep Sudden Rise in Medical Costs  (Read 4242 times)

Offline wallace

Steep Sudden Rise in Medical Costs
« on: August 23, 2011, 23:50:31 PM »
Make of this as you will,no consultation with foreign embassies

http://www.voicesnewspaper.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4959

Offline philrose

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:38:36 AM »
Don't see it as a problem. If your a resident, your not affected. If your on a tourist visa you should have holiday insurance anyway...

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 09:44:53 AM »
This is the interesting bit to me - not everyone can afford or get holiday insurance (pre-existing conditions for example). Plus it's obvious they now want to push through the residency issue and make sure those on 90 day visas see that it's worthwhile getting it.

It appears that those foreigners who live here or are here on a 90-day visa will be charged 100TL per visit to the state hospital doctor, but those that have a residence permit and permanent Turkish residence number will only be charged 15TL as per normal.

However, the question arises over those foreign residents who may shy away from such hikes in costs because they can't afford it, or do not have medical insurance because they are too old or have pre-existing conditions.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:45:14 AM by stoop »

Offline col

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 12:35:49 PM »
At least (for the moment!)the article does not mention making health insurance compulsory for residents. I still hope, as i'm sure many others do, they do not bring in last years talked about compulsory health insurance. Far better to leave it up to the individual to decide to take it out or pay as you go.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:52:03 PM by col »

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 12:42:41 PM »
Am I missing something here - when I read the article it said the charges would apply to tourists and visa holders (that means the sudden increased holders of 1 to 5 yr visas as we plan to get in January).

It appears that those foreigners who live here or are here on a 90-day visa will be charged 100TL per visit to the state hospital doctor, but those that have a residence permit and permanent Turkish residence number will only be charged 15TL as per normal.

The only people exempt were nationals and permit holders which many have pointed out in the past a residents permit is not the same as a residents visa.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:43:17 PM by Ian »

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 12:40:29 PM »
sadly we discovered this last week, when Mr Pookie had to take a trip to the Devlet.  Almost £100 to check and dress a burn...then a further 60 lire each day to redress it.  In the end we visited the chemist and bought cream, dressings, bandages etc all for under 6 lire !    Big thanks to Ambulance Driver Simon by the way xxxxx  Animal Aid to the rescue again lol !!!

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 14:45:07 PM »
Pookie - do you know if you would have to pay this if you were paying the national insurance (SSK) or would it all have been free?

I am told the SSK is about 265/270 lira per household per month which although it would not be good for us it could be a very good option for those with exisiting medical conditions?

Offline quackers

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 08:10:41 AM »
We have SGK /Bagkur cost 270tl per month and don't pay it . But I understand Bagkur/SGK is now not available for expats and you have to have SSK at a cost of approx 190tl per person.Long winded process to get existing illness recognised and on this insurance but once done all medication is free with a prescription from hospital or local village doctor.

Offline kizkucuk

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 09:02:23 AM »
The 190tl covers a husband, wife and children under 18.  Or 190 lira for a single person.  I am told that the application process was not too difficult and also unlike holiday insurance there is no age limit and also they do cover pre-exisiting illnesses - so for people living here full time and are elderly or have long term health issues such as diabetes this is a good deal.

Offline cinders

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 10:44:09 AM »
AARRRGGGGHHHH even more confused now so:
is it (per couple) 250/270 tl per month or 190 tl  per month
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 11:16:38 AM by cinders »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf