Author Topic: Rats  (Read 4881 times)

Offline Lotty

Re: Rats
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 21:06:37 PM »
M had a go at fishing at the undeveloped end of the cordon last time we were there and was fascinated to see so many big rats running on the rocks. Eugh! Shudder shudder!

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 00:06:03 AM »
Last year I saw a plastic 4" sewer pipe that rats had chewed through to get out of
to get to food in a cafe.And another instance where rats had chewed through a
plasterboard ceiling and climbed down the brickwork to get to food stored in the room.
They are becoming almost unstoppable.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 03:49:17 AM »
I am utterly rat phobic.

I also saw a very large rat on the canal bank walking from Kus Cenetti to the water taxis. It appeared to have a snake/eel in its mouth.

Ok. I am shuddering just thinking about it.

And Pops, welcome to CBF but I have to say that fur less rat in your photo looks like something out of a nightmare.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 12:14:47 PM »
I was very amused when working in Germany to be offered an "activator" at work on a Friday afternoon (yes they drink at work so much for their dedication to work) from a brandy bottle labelled "Rats Reserve"! My German colleagues didn't see the joke and explained it was meant to be so good it was from the cellars of the Rathaus (German Town Hall) where the Politicians live!  -------------- and at first didn't get it while I thought that was even funnier -- suddenly they did   ---- "aahhhh ratten, sehr gut!" and much hilarity!

One of the reasons we have so many rats is not that they are dirty it is because we humans strew our waste hence encouraging them to breed! And of course for their own defence they have learned to live in inaccessible places where it is unhygienic and overcrowded!

Don't want one as a pet though, much as I don't want scorpions or tarantulas!

Offline Piscoe

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 13:53:15 PM »
Yeah I have seen the rats by the canal. Bloody huge!!

Offline jondo

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 13:23:11 PM »
Last year we saw a couple swimming across the water under the little bridge at one of the Fethiye harbour side restaurants - and they were heading in the direction of that restaurant!
Biggest I saw many years ago - a Bongoyo Rat from the island of Bongoyo 8 miles from the shore near Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania - and it was swimming back to the island after a visit to the mainland! It was as big as a fully grown cat! And, it swam under me  :o

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 13:35:01 PM »
It's the tree rats I hate. Those bloody grey squirrels.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 17:44:33 PM »
Like the red ones though Colwyn. 

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 18:06:36 PM »
I must have been about ten years old when I saw my last red squirrel in Bristol. They were well behaved. They didn't build a drey and set up home in the loft and make one hell of a racket! Nor even come and dig up the lawn.

Offline susuz.1

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 18:52:49 PM »
We had a rat that ate through a drain pipe under our living room floor and started chewing through our floorboards. It set up shop in our integral garage in the pit (that had never been used except for this rat!). The smell from this rat was truly horrendous - the noise at night as it chewed through the floor/skirting boards was deafening and sinister!  I cannot say I was sorry when the rat was eventually poisoned and feel sorry if anyone has these creatures invade their homes as they are incredibly destructive  :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf