Author Topic: What do think?  (Read 8159 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: What do think?
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 17:04:22 PM »
The overall crime rate in the UK is the lowest it has ever been since recording began in the early 1980s. (I realize some people hate good news and point-blank refuse to believe it ("It's statistics) but frankly I can't be bothered with such drivel.) So what's the big problem? Too many people reading the Daily Mail I reckon.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 17:26:51 PM »
But do you know how they've come up with those figures ?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 17:58:31 PM »
Yes.

But if you don't here is a simple introduction.

The Crime Survey for England and Wales measures the extent of crime in England and Wales by asking people whether they have experienced any crime in the past year.
The survey has measured crime in this way since 1982 and is a valuable source of information for the government about the extent and nature of crime in England and Wales. The Crime Survey for England and Wales is the new name for the British Crime Survey. A separate survey (the Scottish Crime and Justice survey) measures the extent of crime in Scotland. The survey is conducted by TNS-BMRB on behalf of the Office for National Statistics.
The Crime Survey records crimes that may not have been reported to the police and it is therefore used alongside the police recorded crime figures to show a more accurate picture of the level of crime in the country.
In 2012/13 around 50,000 households across England and Wales were invited to participate in the survey.   Three quarters of households invited to take part actually did so and it is thanks to this cooperation from the public that the survey can provide the robust information needed by government to understand the nature of crime in this country.
This website contains more information about the survey for people who have been invited to take part. 

Offline tuzlachap

• AWAY TOO MUCH!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 18:05:15 PM »
Hang 'em High!!!

As for surveys!!!! There are lies, damned lies and then there are Statistics.
Being an ex-civil servant (based in Bristol), with experience of making the "facts" fit, believe me.........

TC  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 18:23:12 PM »
But if you don't here is a simple introduction.

Oh, I know how and why the figures were made up compiled.   ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 18:29:29 PM »
Yeah, yeah, very convincing. When questioned thousands of people who had their cars stolen, houses broken into, daughters raped, etc lied and said that they had suffered no crime. And the moon is made of green cheese. And astronauts never landed on it. You wouldn't be DM readers would you?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 18:34:03 PM »
Colwyn - just one question from me. Do you think life should mean life?

Offline tuzlachap

• AWAY TOO MUCH!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 18:47:25 PM »

Yeah, yeah, very convincing. When questioned thousands of people who had their cars stolen, houses broken into, daughters raped, etc lied and said that they had suffered no crime. And the moon is made of green cheese. And astronauts never landed on it. You wouldn't be DM readers would you?

So, you obviously have a problem with anyone who disagrees with you by accusing them of being a "DM" reader. Get a life Colwyn, y'know, other people do have a right to express their opinion without having someone "labelling" them to make himself seem more important or to have himself  feel good, about himself.

But of course, you will obviously have some "witty" repost

TC

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 19:18:53 PM »
Part of having a debating chamber is to allow adults to argue and disagree in  a respectful way TC, I may be alone but I don't think telling people to "get a life" fits in with that.

Offline grahamturner09

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 19:26:44 PM »
Stuff the figures lock them all up I'll pay a Penney in the pound.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf