Author Topic: New 'boy' about to appear in town !  (Read 5480 times)

Offline cjvonthejack

• Newly Registered
New 'boy' about to appear in town !
« on: July 11, 2018, 14:48:41 PM »
Members - thank you !
Even if we don't have time for much discussion, I've already, from your posts here, got a good insight into the resort before my arrival next Monday, July 16th.
This is the 3rd of 4 Turkish breaks this year - for the others, being in winter or early spring, I've managed to afford all-inclusive, in Lara Beach, Marmaris &, come December, Colakli (nr. Side).
This time my search was driven entirely by price, not location, & I'm spending 10 nts. B&B at Oykun...where the sight of the bowling rink raised hopes until I realised it'll almost certainly be too hot to go near it; nonetheless, if the location works, another time...?!
Many years since I went B&B or self-catering, so some ideas on which bars/restaurants might be worth a try were high on my list when I typed in Calis Beach; hope I've now got 3 or 4 of each earmarked for a try-out. Not sure what the Oykun's policy on evening meals for B&B guests is, but do hope that what they provide may be nice enough for a couple of evenings dining 'in' !
Anyway - if I get any thoughts between now & Mon., sure someone here will be all too able to put me straight...but if you're in town between the 17th & 26th, & see a lone Brit (66, lightly bearded, may well have a blue/red Nike back-pack, or be wearing a green 'Heineken New Zealand Open' - tennis ! - fleece of an evening), do say 'Excuse me, are you CJVONTHEJACK from the Forum?', & I'll be happy to stand you a beer (preferably not ALL of you) ! 
Thanks again for what you've already taught me.            Cheers.                Clive (Wiltshire based).

Offline BernieTeyze

Re: New 'boy' about to appear in town !
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 15:02:42 PM »
Is it just beer? Mine's an Angora ...(looking for flights ) ;D ;D 8)

Have a great trip, safe journey.

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 16:24:57 PM »

Green fleece????? ;D ;D ;D

Don't think you will need to eat in once you see the choice of restaurants.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 16:54:59 PM »
Welcome to CBF
Hope you have a great holiday.  Do let us know how you get onhb

Offline Dennis Vint

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 08:56:36 AM »
Welcome to CBF Clive.  You will find that the members are very helpful if you need information.  Stayed at the Oykun several times...it's a good family based hotel and very friendly, especially Goldie on Reception. I'm a crown green bowler but have enjoyed many happy hours on the flat green at Oykun.  As you say, it will probably be quite hot at this time of the year and a bit uncomfortable for bowling.  Breakfast is buffet style with an excellent range plus a chef on hand to cook eggs any way you wish.  Evening meals cater for many tastes and if you return from a hectic day out and don't feel up to going out for dinner, the hotel meals are a decent choice. Next trip for me is 20th September for a couple of weeks when the fierce heat of summer has subsided..........that's when Goldie says I can have a game of bowls! ;D  You might want to consider a boat shuttle to Fethiye on the water taxi from the bridge about 5 minutes walk from the Oykun.  Costs about 6 lira per crossing (£1) and there are many opportunities to stroll around, shop till you drop or have a meal or a quiet drink watching the world go by around the harbour.  Goldie can give you some ideas on where to go and what to do.  I wish you a happy holiday.  Dennis.

Offline cjvonthejack

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 13:03:40 PM »
Most kind of folk to reply...particularly useful to hear a little more about the Oykun & its meals ! Bowling...ah. would be nice, but not holding my breath. Play on a lovely artificial grass rink overlooking a bay in the north of Malta...may have to wait till a return there.
Angora (Turkish wine, I believe ?), certainly possible in lieu of a beer.
Think I can 'hire' a fridge reasonably cheaply at Oykun; if so some Efes, & some white/rose wine will certainly be chilling there. You're welcome to call !
Boat to Fethiye ? Well, I prefer 100,000 tons or so of vessel before I trust the water, so it may just be a dolmus. Presumably they return to Calis latish in the evening, allowing time to try some Fethiye restaurants (Carikli Et, Mancero & King's Garden on the 'hit' list).
Fleece ? Bit of a 'trademark' item...can always be carried, after all !

Cheers for now.                   Clive.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 16:49:47 PM »
We had a couple of lunches at the Oykun when we stayed there and they were really excellent.

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 18:31:05 PM »
cjvonthejack, small fridges are available to hire at Oykun. Bowling green has 4 rinks and bowls available at reception desk. Wouldn't say the "artificial green" is lovely, but very playable. TL30 per person I think, to play.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 19:59:42 PM »
Salih who owns kings garden has just opened up a calis beach restaurant. It's getting some good reviews. Kings garden is still there if course. Afiyet Olsun.

Offline cjvonthejack

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 20:19:41 PM »
Salih who owns kings garden has just opened up a calis beach restaurant. It's getting some good reviews. Kings garden is still there if course.

Ah, thanks - which one is that, please ?

Afiyet Olsun.   Teşekkür ederim !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf