Author Topic: Tipping & Haggling  (Read 4553 times)

Offline m495

Tipping & Haggling
« on: June 28, 2007, 13:31:29 PM »
Hi All

Hopefully this is the right place for this posting

I'll be in Calis Beach for 2 weeks at the end of July. This will be our first visit to Turkey.

I was wondering if anyone could give us pointers on how much  and when you should tip and also any hints, tips etc on haggling.

Thanks
Margaret

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
Tipping & Haggling
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 16:09:23 PM »
Haggling - start at 10% of the price they offer - they don't call me 'Mrs Ali Baba' for nothing!
Wear sunglasses & keep a smile off your face if you're too easy to read - like Hubby - or send the partner that is easy to read away. One thing that perplexes them & puts them off their stride is when they get down to say 60 & you're offering 40 suddenly offer them 30, then they get fixed on -'but you just offered 40!' Our friend Dave tries this & often he gets then for 40 - but he can read them on what they want. LOL

Choose a price that's comfortable for you & don't go above it. If you get to this price OK, if it looks like they're not going to budge then walk away. They will often come running after you. If they don't then your price is too low but you'll probably see the same item a few stalls/shops away & at least you know what to aim below now. You can always return to the place later in the day & try again.

Tipping depends on how good the service/food is. We've been told off in the past for tipping too much by some expats - who reckon that prices go up to tipping levels next year. Seen prices rise quite dramatically in some places & food portion sizes go down in the last few years - so they might be right. Around 10% probably is the norm. More if excellent, less if abysmal service. As far as I know the waiters live off their tips the rest of the year, not their wages. I'd be interested in other views on this.

Offline Crabbit

• The Fuhrer
  • Prolific Member
  • Location: Here at the moment .... waiting to be with my Angel Pearl again
Tipping & Haggling
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 16:36:55 PM »
If I have just a drink, I don`t tip.
If I am dining at an over inflated restaurant like all the ones in Calis, I don`t tip. (I feel that I`ve paid enough already)
If I am dining in Koycegiz, I tip 1 Lira, which is more than 10%.

Crabbit (waiting for Scunners remark) :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Tipping & Haggling
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 16:43:47 PM »
Won't keep you waiting too long then

There is a restaurant we go to in Koycegiz, which won't charge you anything if you only have cay - amazing but true. Crabbit even haggles over that price lol

Linda's post was rather excellent - I would only disagree on one point. Abysmal service does not get a tip from me!!!

Tipping shows appreciation of good service - and that is why I rarely tip - if it is excellent I tip well.

Also, a local told me that tipping taxi drivers was totally unheard of before us stupid Brits started coming.

Offline Crabbit

• The Fuhrer
  • Prolific Member
  • Location: Here at the moment .... waiting to be with my Angel Pearl again
Tipping & Haggling
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 17:01:48 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

There is a restaurant we go to in Koycegiz, which won't charge you anything if you only have cay - amazing but true. Crabbit even haggles over that price lol

That`s only because I feel that "free" is too bloody expensive.  

Offline Twin Bee

• The Artist Formerly Known As
Tipping & Haggling
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 19:04:43 PM »
I go with 10% for services, unless poor then nothing. Haggling I start at 33% of asking price and try not to go over 66%. (I not very good at haggling!) It depends how much I want something. One exception is when Eren Spot delivers goods to our apartment I tip all of them. Those guys really deserve it. Also tip the security staff when leaving the complex 10 ytl.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Tipping & Haggling
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 19:09:24 PM »
And don't forget this useful Turkish phrase when they tell you their first price,

Ben Aptal Miyim ??   Do I Look Stupid ?

Offline amanda bullock

Tipping & Haggling
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 19:11:34 PM »
my husband sends me away because i feel sorry for them and start taking their side!!!!!!!!LOL

Offline smudge

• Calis, TR
Tipping & Haggling
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 19:40:25 PM »
Good post from Linda, we start haggling at 30 to 50% off, if cant get a good price walk away. Nothing worse than seeing some Brits on the market saying to the trader "cor thats cheap mate" to the advertised price.
Cant remember the last time we tipped anyone, have seen prices follow the tipping level upwards and gives an impression of Rich Brits.
If we have anyone doing work for us then we make drinks available and if they are working all day then will send out for lunch for them but no cash.

Offline JMK

Tipping & Haggling
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 14:37:36 PM »
Thanks all for the haggling info. I am just useless at it. I didn't know where to begin. Going down to 30% seems like a huge drop. However I will have a go soon and see what happens. Can you do this anywhere? I can't imagine you'd do it in Migros and I really couldn't get them to budge in the furniture shop where all the prices were in a brochure. I assume you can do it in the market - what about jewellery shops?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf