Author Topic: Quad Bike Accident in Ovacik  (Read 10952 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Quad Bike Accident in Ovacik
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 08:17:53 AM »
Wıll theır travel insurance cover them or ıs thıs classed as a dangerous sport.
[/quote)

Travel Insurance will not cover them.  I doubt that extreme sports insurance would even cover them, as they may not have been wearing proper helmets.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 09:59:18 AM »
Ahh well we can only report what was said   ;)

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 16:34:53 PM »
Tourists had not been drinking! I spoke with them five minutes before the accident (which happened around 11 am).

Taxi was driven by son of the owner and happens to be the same guy who beat the English woman and pizza delivery guy last week. Driver fled the scene.

To drive a quad bike you need a motorbike license. If driver has one, there should not be any problems with insurance.

Offline davybill

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 16:39:43 PM »
That's good good to know Dutchie, might stop rumours flying about, but. Only' Might.

Offline Melbert

• Newly Registered
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 18:41:44 PM »
The accident happened at the crossroads by the "Meeting Place" cafe. The taxi driver did flee the scene, but the accident was captured on CCTV. We were staying closeby at the Seyir Village Hotel. My son is a very experienced first-aider and attended the casualties along with a British nurse,  until the ambulance arrived, and he would be interested to hear news of the casualties. The taxi was traveling at high speed from the direction of Fethiye, and overtaking a van when it struck the bike; it then ploughed into the front of a hire car which was parked outside a villa.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 19:25:01 PM »
Thanks for the update Melbert - and how fortunate your son was around to help. Hopefully we'll be able to get an update on how these guys are. It sounds terrible but perhaps also that it could have been far, far worse.

Offline daughter

• Newly Registered
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 16:48:59 PM »
When we were last in Fetiya arriving from Alanya by Bus ( car left in Alanya ) we haven't any idea of the location of our Hotel so we used a Taxi as you do . NEVER have I ever have we experienced anything like the IDIOT who have the nerve to call himself a driver . The 10 minutes we were in that fool hands seemed like a life time . Not only did he put our lives , his life , but so many others that had the misfortune to be on the road at the same time as him . Only yesterday this subject came up about this so called Taxi Driver at least he would have cried and said how sorry he was had he have caused an accident . A few months ago whilst driving here Alanya we found ourselves face to face with another car , I might add he wanted to take a short cut on our side of the road . When he was asked what the Bloody Hell he was doing ? Now wait for it !!!!! He told us Youn Europeans DONT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE . But I do I have read the Book . So we have decided now ever time that some fool does something that we think is beyond stupid .We remind ourselves that we haven't read the book . Just a thought .

Travel Insurance will not cover them.  I doubt that extreme sports insurance would even cover them, as they may not have been wearing proper helmets.
[/quote]

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 16:05:41 PM »
The couple is doing (relatively) okay.

I don't want to go into full medical details but the man has been discharged today. The woman needs orthopedic surgery but chooses to have that done in the UK and will be transported back tomorrow most likely.

Even though the taxi was speeding, the quadbike driver was also at fault because they had not stopped completely. There is a stop sign on the crossing but they just slowed down and then crossing. They assumed that the slow driving tractor was letting them cross and unfortunately they did not see the fast taxi behind/next to the tractor.

Ironically the quadbike more or less saved them because the impact of the crash was on the wheels and the couple went flying. If they had been on a scooter or something, it could have been a lot worse.

Offline Melbert

• Newly Registered
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 16:11:37 PM »
Thanks, Dutchie, for the feedback; good news indeed. I've already passed it on to my son.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 20:38:31 PM »
Ahh well we can only report what was said    ;)

With respect it is reporting what other people say that causes many of the problems over there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf