Author Topic: Animal Sanctuary, Uzumlu, Cayan, Tlos, Saklikent  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
Animal Sanctuary, Uzumlu, Cayan, Tlos, Saklikent
« on: February 03, 2012, 20:15:09 PM »
Day 3 of the hire car, not quite as planned!

Popped into the Animal Sanctuary to leave a donation en route to Uzumlu, of course there were some rather good photo opportunities there!

Wandered round Uzumlu village for an hour, lovely original Turkish architecture, shame about some of the "Gin Palaces" but I guess they all bring income to the area in 1 form or another. Drove out over the Cadianda road to a village named Cayan. The map says the road goes round in a loop back towards Uzumlu, we got almost there when we came across a flooded river & the "ford" was impassable so about turn & back the way we came, ho hum!

Pics here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150521184771914.371238.741226913&type=1&l=3f00c8cfb1

Not wanting to double back on our tracks too much we decided there was time to explore Tlos & Saklikent so that's what we did. Tlos is interesting if you like Roman ruins, other than that there's nothing to see although I carried on up into the hills & found the trout farm, watching the locals at work was fun.

Arrived at Saklikent to find it closed for the winter, just wandering round chatting with Julie about what to do next when we were approached by a chap who spoke almost perfect English, later found out his name is Niyazi Kutan. He runs a little cafe there with his wife, Suzan. I said I didn't realise the gorge was closed in the winter & we were hoping to walk up & take a look, he straight away said follow me & opened the gates (by lifting them off their hinges I might add!) & then spent over 1/2 an hour being the most perfect guide telling us a lot of the history, what an interesting man.

It was very chilly out so he invited us back to the cafe for cay, his wife Suzan was just as lovely although spoke very little English. Whilst supping cay in front of the lovely warm soba Suzan presented Julie with a bunch of freshly picked flowers, such a simple gesture that meant so much. Julie managed to find some 4 week old pups so of course more piccies lol. When I asked for the bill I was told no charge, Niyazi was just happy to make some new friends & practice his English. A real true gent & a credit to the lovely Turkish race.

Pics here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150521214906914.371240.741226913&type=3&l=ba669b70df

Tomorrow I will attempt the mountain villages around Uzumlu again, let's hope I find the right road this time!

Offline buddy

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 23:54:18 PM »
Mark, superb photos again. Good job I'm 2000 miles away or I'd be taking half those dogs home with me.

Offline grizabella

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 10:56:06 AM »
Thankyou so much Mark for your blog and all the pics.Was great to see pics of the sanctuary and all the happy animals there.

Offline calvin 1949

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:25:47 AM »
Great Photos thanks for sharing ! must get out and about more!!

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 15:06:58 PM »
Brilliant them Mark, you have really brightened up a cold dreary snowy day here in the N.W. Are you sure you want to come home ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf