Author Topic: First Part time job?  (Read 4713 times)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
First Part time job?
« on: October 29, 2017, 10:56:39 AM »
I read that the daughter of a famous person on here has got her first part time job.. What was your first time job.. I worked at a local hairdressers washing hair.. 2 hours on a Friday evening and all day Saturday washing hair and sweeping up.. 2 and 6 an hour.. (12 and a half pence in old money)..

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
Re: First Part time job?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 11:13:14 AM »
Mine was in a Kentucky Fried Chicken. Worked Saturday 10am-6pm and Sunday 10am-3pm. There were 2 of us working on Saturday, and we had to wash the chicken, cook the chicken, fry the chips, make huge pans of gravy and massive tubs of coleslaw and sweetcorn salad. After that we had to make up stacks of the boxes with grease-proof linings ready for the late shift. We also had to serve at the counter. Sundays I worked alone and had to wash and cook chicken and fry chips, serve at the counter and re-stock the boxes. We were allowed 1piece of chicken, chips and a side every shift (for free).I can't remember how much the wages were, but I think it was about £15 a week.We also got staff discount.

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 11:41:20 AM »
I forgot to say that this was in 1977 and I was 15 (I told the boss that I was 16).

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 13:15:08 PM »
I worked in a tyre fitting shop (like Quick Fit) from 14 yrs old on a Saturday and in the school holidays.
It was proper hard graft all for £2 per day.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 13:28:50 PM »
My first part-time job was delivering groceries on a G-G-G-G-Granville bike for the local corner shop. The crafty old shopowner always overloaded the bloody thing so I'd only have to make one trip and it would reduce the time he had to pay me. I'd often get off it for a delivery and it would do a nosedive, spreading the groceries all over the street.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 13:37:50 PM »
Apart from paper rounds, my first part time job was working for a fruit & veg stall on Leighton Market. It was tough work, start at 05:45 setting up, I was coffee/tea boy (which was a welcome skive being sent to the cafe), being sent under the stall to collect any fruit that had fallen off the stall, late afternoon I would be sent out from to get rid of whatever wasn't selling ("20 pence a paand yer spring greens" - well embarrassing first few times) then pack it all up and maybe be gone by six.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 13:46:30 PM »
Barrie had a paper round as kids did in those days.. Morning papers. 13 shillings. Evening papers 6 shilling and sixpence.. Sunday papers.4 bags that he could hardly lift of the floor 9 shillings.. He kept his morning paper round on for a year after he started his apprenticeship because his wages were poor.. Total for Morning evening and Sunday. £1.45... Wage as an apprentice mechanic.. £2. 18 and 6. After stamps. 40 hours..

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 13:55:02 PM »
The newly opened Wilton market in Erdington. I was 11, worked from 8.30 until 5.30pm for a quid. It was easy enough work for a crockery stall, that used auction off dinner sets and ornaments in a wicker basket. Remember them coloured tall bottles and multi coloured fish. My job was to grab the money and wrap the goods. Happy Days. I remember being able to buy my sister the Donny Osmond Puppy love album for christmas.. ;D ;D :  :)

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 13:59:31 PM »
I had a Saturday job in my friend's grocery shop at the time we moved to decimal currency - change-over day was fun! 
My wages were a fiver plus a roast lunch at my friend's house.  That fiver financed a Saturday night out at an Ainsdale night club which included: 
Train fare Crosby to Ainsdale
4 x Gin and Tonic
Taxi home

Those were the days.

Offline sadler

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 14:15:35 PM »
Going down the potatoe fields behind the tractor, throwing off the tops so the local ladies could put the spuds in their buckets more quickly. Can’t remember the payment, probably only a couple of shillings, a bottle of cold tea and a cheese butty a day. I was told that I frequently hitched a lift in the trailer while Maggie Thatcher was driving (her sister was married to the farmer). Must say that I was totally unaware of who she was and what she would later become. When I was  bit older I picked apples and black currents on a local fruit farm . I certainly didn’t need a holiday abroad to get a good tan in those days. Happy, healthy times.  8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf