Author Topic: What's Wrong With You People?  (Read 2786 times)

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
What's Wrong With You People?
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 13:43:58 PM »
All they have done is work the system which is in place, like 95% of the population would given half the chance. ( who else is in the 5% with me  ;))
They are apolgising for being found out not for what they did
Mark
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 13:44:18 PM by karaokemark »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 13:45:06 PM »
This is the real issue, not many people in any walk of life who have a position to claim expenses have been totally straight and honest (as Stephen Fry points out). It is probably of no surprise to those of us who have that this goes on in parliament. Where the story begins to have relevance is the uncovering of lifestyles that we cannot relate to, let alone wish to fund.

When I became eligible to vote I voted Labour, mainly because I couldn't see how the silver spooned likes of Parkinson, Pym, Lawson etc. could have any real understanding of the day to day struggle and toil of the average British man. Stories of swimming pools, moats etc. highlight this totally detached from the toil life of those who decide what is best for the common man. I'm no Ken Livingtone fan but I'm sure he has more in common with most people than the likes of Boris Johnston.

Sadly, the trappings of parliament increase the gulf. People like John Prescott were examples of what I was looking for in a government. Son of a railwayman, grandson of a miner, and himself a merchant navyman who failed his 11+. Not everyone's favourite politician but to me a man who came from the same world as the rest of us and might just understand a little more than the majority of the opposition looking down to us from their moated homes.

Sadly Prescott later preferred a game of croquet to serving us, and it is reported that Prescott claimed £312 for fitting mock tudor beams to his constituency home.

In the end, it's a long post that resolves to a short and old cliche. They're all as bad as each other, and when all parties are as bad as each other on one issue, there is no relative harm done to any of them.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 15:31:31 PM »
All toerags the lot of 'em.

Off wiv their heads!

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 15:41:36 PM »
All I want is every tax payer to be able to claim and play by the same rules.Accountants will soon be liable for tax returns that they file on behalf of thier clients, and mine has asked several of his clients to take their business elsewhere.Mp's should be able to claim what you or I would be able to claim while carrying out their jobs, many people work in london, Kieth will know the scale of queques of people jumping on to the train at leighton B and places further a field many can't even claim the rail fare and have to do this journey every working day, not part time/or have summer off like Mps, etc.11 years of labour rule and the country is in the worst state than ever, how people fell for blair,was because the back lash as the grey man was rubbish. and I told you before he got the job that brown would be worst.Prescot what a waster never had a good idea in his life, just because a man comes from humble back ground doesn't make him a hero. check out former leader the welsh miners son who not only gets himself a top job in europe but so does his wife and his son runs british council.rant over

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 16:07:09 PM »
That's better. Cheered me up already

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 18:56:52 PM »
See Colwyn,the section is saved.We even got Scunner to post on it,and he's not old : :): :): :) snigger! :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 20:35:13 PM »
I read that David cameron is leading senior Tories in repaying expenses by repayig £ 680 himself.

I would have appaulded that action if he'd done it a fortnight or a month ago.

The thing that upsets me most is the amount of MPs who are now crawling out of the woodwork to pontificate on how wrong it all is whilst being as guilty as sin themselves:(.

There is of course a simple solution to the problem. Tomorrow morning, Parliament shoud appoint my firm's Finance Director. The problem will be solved in record time. ;)

Offline FrankStanley

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 21:31:56 PM »
The law is for everyone, if it is broken then the breaker should be prosecuted,   simplesss!:D

Offline FrankStanley

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 21:34:55 PM »
meerkat.com?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 21:35:00 PM »
If you put in a dubious expense claim at work it is not likely to be dealt with as a criminal offence, it will be seen more as a trust issue. Same for parliament.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf