Author Topic: Cameron Saves City of London  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Cameron Saves City of London
« on: December 09, 2011, 09:39:55 AM »
David Cameron has refused to help European leaders create economic stability. Instead he has saved Britain's financial sector from the threat of increased regulation and taxation. That makes me feel really good. After all, unregulated and irresponsible financial services had nothing to do with the global economic crisis did they? I suppose Barmy Boris will be happy today.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 09:41:49 AM »
Colwyn - I have to say - even I feel a little bit uncomfortable with this - we might have won a small battle and lost the war here

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 11:07:36 AM »
Put aside petty nationalism of who is right and who is wrong on the greater plan for Europe and the Euro.  And look at the idea of a Financial Transaction Tax, it actually has merit as both a fiscal policy and a means of making the financial institutions pay to sustain their partially regulated businesses, instead of being bailed out by us the taxpayers, and the consequential damage to the rest of the economy, outside of the City.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 11:08:44 AM by usedbustickets »

Offline Eric

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 11:54:27 AM »
The big condition in this treaty is that all countries who sign up to it MUST deposit 200 billion Euros in the IMF by Tuesday next week!  With the government trying to get us out of the mire that the banks and labour got us into that is a step too far in my opinion.  We cannot afford it.  How would people feel about 200 billion of their taxes going to prop up a currency we do not use?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 12:06:57 PM »
I rather liked the comment that someone made on a radio phone-in programme. "There are 90,000 square miles in Britain. Cameron has looked after one of them".

Offline Eric

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 12:18:40 PM »
I totally disagree with that persons comment.  By not signing up to paying 200 billion of our money to the IMF he is protecting us all!

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 12:55:05 PM »
There are NO winners here.

I am totally opposed to signing up to anything run from Brussels - these jackasses couldn't organise a pint of lager in a pub. Look at the mess they have created by allowing countries in on the Euro well before they were ready.

Merkel of course with the booming German economy doing really well thank you very much amid this state of chaos, of course they want to start controlling what everyone else is up to.

And Cameron - well he said he would protect the Financial Sector and that no doubt is what he has done/is doing. I saw him talk a few months ago and he said "what Britain is really good at is retail and financial services".

Well clearly we are not and you can't sell stuff to people with no money so that is the retail sector down the pan along with the manufacturing sector already destroyed many years ago. No money no consumer spending no retail sector oh and no financial sector unless you are already rich enough to profit from this complete shambles and that of course is what this is all about.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 13:07:09 PM »
and nobody will be doing Christmas shopping this year, the kids will go without i-phones i pads etc...Christmas parties will not happen nobody will go down the pub to celebrate....

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 13:18:09 PM »
what pubs Tinks they've all closed haven't they  ;)

And may I add that if they hadn't spent so much time with their trivial concerns over what size bananas we should be allowed to buy in the supermarket they might have more time to devote to stuff that actually matters - like financial solvency

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 13:23:39 PM »
Cameron has not saved the city of London. Most EU financial regulation is decided on a majority vote basis and the regulations will still have to be applied. We have recently seen an example of where this majority voting has been applied to derivitive transactions. What he has done is to stop an EU body having regulatory influence that is normally undertaken by the likes of the FSA.

In a way the EU has virtually done what the Tory Eurosceptics  have wanted and has thrown the UK out of the club. The UK is now in a minority of one. The EU has been used for too long as a smokescreen for all the ills in the UK. We need to start looking at ourselves first rather than blaming others for the mess.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf