Author Topic: Bring Back Words  (Read 882 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Bring Back Words
« on: March 29, 2012, 15:28:15 PM »
Youngsters these days (anyone under 50) use all sorts of strange words in their vocabulary. LOLs and OMGs are scattered all over the place. They use "random" to mean anything about an unexpected event, a strange (i.e. different) person, or more or less anything remarkable - except to mean what a dictionary defines as "random", of course.

Rather than rail against this I would like to surreptiously re-introduce some words into the language. Please add your own choices but my first contribution (whilst listening to Cab Calloway) is:

jive

Start using it again please folks.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Bring Back Words
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 15:53:14 PM »
There should be a return into common useage of "erstwhile" without delay. On a related but not the same subject, words that seem to have appeared but not from kids. I may be wrong but I keep hearing "outwith" or maybe it is "out with" - my doctor was retiring last week and I asked him if he was looking forward to it - he said he was as he has many interests "outwith the practice".

Now I don't know about things like this as we lived overseas for 5 years - and I do not recall it ever being said before we moved. So it could be new, or it could be that it is something they commonly say in Scotland but not Southern England. Or it could be I used to hear it and didn't notice  :)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Bring Back Words
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 16:32:43 PM »
Or, it could be that you are just "JIVING" us Keith, and you have been hearing things all along  ;): :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Bring Back Words
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 16:50:15 PM »
Outwith is definitely a Scottish usage meaning outside or without. It is a very marker of a Scottish author. In a similar way it is a distinctively Yorkshire trait to use "while" to mean "until". Unfortunately this did little to rid us of Tykes despite the best efforts of British Rail by putting up signs on level crossings saying "WAIT WHILE LIGHTS FLASH". I despite these thes localized abuses of language, but there ain't a gert deal I can do about them.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 17:08:48 PM by Colwyn »

Offline hotlips

• Stupid is as stupid does
Bring Back Words
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 17:20:34 PM »
I really love the the words  'dashing' and 'dapper' and where possible they need to be delivered in a 'Margo Leadbetter, the Good life - Penelope Keith' voice.

I also do my best to encourage the waiters in Calis to use 'toodle pip' instead of 'cheers' when they bid farewell to a customer.

Think the waiters are fairly bemused by this and just think quite correctly that I am mad as a box of frogs, but it keeps us occupied for a while!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 17:22:48 PM by hotlips »

Offline scouser2

Bring Back Words
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 18:39:26 PM »
We started to use the word 'beardie' instead of 'bizzare' as the original use of the word bizzare was (we have been led to believe) something to do with beards.it certainly confused some people when they first heard it, but now they are using it too.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Bring Back Words
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 19:12:55 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Colwyn

In a similar way it is a distinctively Yorkshire trait to use "while" to mean "until". Unfortunately this did little to rid us of Tykes despite the best efforts of British Rail by putting up signs on level crossings saying "WAIT WHILE LIGHTS FLASH".

"While" isn't confined to Yorkshire Colwyn. It's used in the same way around Lancashire. As in "What shift're you on ?" "6 while 2"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf