Author Topic: I’m fed up living in the UK.  (Read 6225 times)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Re: I’m fed up living in the UK.
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 00:55:15 AM »
Perhaps the best post I have read on here for quite some time Mr Bus Tickets . LOve it !

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 01:06:18 AM »
If I didn't moan about things I doubt I'd speak much at all

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 09:32:11 AM »
Yeah me too lol

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 14:07:56 PM »
.... now I'm sure I've missed quite a few,

Yes UBT, Simon bl***y Cowell !!  >:( - Great post though !   ;)  :)  :)

Offline fletch

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 13:24:08 PM »
I must admit that since we moved to Cyprus my eyes have been opened somewhat with regards to just how good the UK really is. Our time here is just 48hrs away from the end of our adventure, our choice to go as we were very secure job wise. I will be taking up a new role with the same company back home that will compliment what we do here.

Cyprus the good things; Weather - very little road traffic - park wherever you want - easy to navigate the island - lots of family time together - beautiful views.

Cyprus the bad things; Really expensive - Cypriots are rude and dislike the British with a passion - seriously corrupt - animal cruelty is of the highest level - nothing and I mean nothing in the way of facilities for special needs - medical services are very hit and miss although they are reasonable financially - very surprised at the limited cuisine on offer - contrary to belief there is a lot of crime here - too many snakes and tarantulas - schooling for the British seems to be of a low standard - internet max is 8mb and you get nowhere near that in reality for your 72 euro's a month - good old British tv

Now, these are only my views of the part of Cyprus we live in and I am sure not all of the island will be the same. We were lucky that our youngest son was enlisted into the forces school in Episkopi, albeit at the cost of £11k per annum but it was the non-existance of special needs facilities that led to our decision to go home. Michelle found herself with Carlton 24-7 and he is lacking social interaction with other kids his own age. We have been here now for nearly 2 years and it was a difficult decision to make but on the face of it the UK is a better place for us to live as a family.

We have enjoyed our life here and the experience and often wonder how other Brits afford to live here? Even on a wage of over £150k per annum we live a very simple lifestyle yet the money just seems to drift through our fingers like water.

In truth we have missed the UK and it was always our intention to return home at some point but this little experience has certainly made us appreciate just how great our country is. I promise not to moan about the cold wet weather when I return, well not for a week or two anyway!   ;)

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 08:12:44 AM »
I find it hard to comprehend that a salary of £150k could only provide "a very simple lifestyle" in Cyprus.  Was it the cost of special needs / additional care that made the difference? 

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
I’m fed up living in the UK.
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 12:56:18 PM »
I tell you what gets on my nerves, those people who have a go at expats returning to the UK for medical treatment. I worked for 42 years, apart from family allowance, never took any benefit or support from the state, I have to pay full price for prescriptions and also pay for dental treatment, I was a higher rate tax payer so 40% of my earnings went to the government after earning the standard allowance. Like many others here, next March when I have been resident for a year I will pay the SGK  medical insurance but as my pension is paid in the UK and taxed there accordingly, why the hell shouldn't I return home and use the NHS if I so wish?

Offline fletch

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 13:25:38 PM »
I find it hard to comprehend that a salary of £150k could only provide "a very simple lifestyle" in Cyprus.  Was it the cost of special needs / additional care that made the difference? 

We of course managed to save some money but not as much as you would expect, the idea for our life in Cyprus was to keep it as close to the one we had in England. I have just paid my 2 monthly electric bill and that came to 712 euro's, my internet connection for 8mb is 72 euro's and food can be something else! Tomato sauce is 5 euro's, a pack of 4 x small burgers 6 euro's......etc etc. Our lives have been kept as close to possible to the UK for the sake of the kids.

No money was spent on special needs provision as there is nothing here to spend money on, the Cypriots tend to hide any special needs away from the public as they see it as an embarrassment to their family and country, very sad indeed! :-(

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 00:45:21 AM »
Can only say, if you have not done it, tried, then don;t knock it, one mans meat is another mans poison, life is too short, and if it makes you happy for however long, then go for it. everyone has their reasons both for and against, and for me , 1, I would miss the fambo
                                                       2, We could not afford it.
                                                       3, I love it where I am, warts and all.
Be Happy.x

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 10:32:20 AM »
What we would like is the best of both worlds.  So a few months a year in Turkey and time at home in Scotland as well.  We used to think we would like to move permanently, but have decided we will just spend a lot more time in Calis when Phil retires.... Inshallah.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf