Author Topic: Hard Working Families  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Hard Working Families
« on: December 20, 2012, 10:14:50 AM »
Press Release.

The policy of H.M. Government to enable people to work hard and have children so they can become hard working families. The entirety of this Government’s social programme is to facilitate hard working families in being hard working families through our hard working families initiative aimed at hard working families.

The rest of you can sod off.

Offline Eric

Re: Hard Working Families
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 13:17:36 PM »
Gets my vote!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 13:28:25 PM »
Are you a hard working family?

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 13:50:21 PM »
"Hard-working families on low incomes who are forced to rely on benefit top-ups just so they can afford to live and pay their basic bills will be £15 a week worse off after three years – that’s £780 a year with the combined impact of cuts to the welfare budget."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/personal-finance/families-bearing-the-brunt-of-coalition-cuts-1485189

Do you think they mean just hard working families who are fortunate enough to be in a position that they don't need to rely on benefit top-ups just so they can afford to live and pay their basic bills?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 15:08:25 PM »

Eric works hard in Uzumlu for his cold weather payments from the British government :D

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 15:31:25 PM »
Has NOBODY in Uzumlu got any morrells.    :)

Offline scorcher

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 16:01:07 PM »
None last year...

Offline Eric

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 16:05:53 PM »

For 35 years YES sometimes with my main job and 3 part time jobs as well to make ends meet.  Now retired!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 16:08:23 PM »
The mantra "hard working families" seems to have been compulsory for politicians of any political party for the last 15 years or so. What triggered my tirade today was a particularly crass application of the formula. In defending Government proposals to allow people to build 6 metre extensions (or 8 metres for detached houses) without any requirement for planning permission, nor any consideration of their neighbours' concerns, a spokesbuffoon for the  Department for Communities and Local Government said "The planning system needs to strike a balance between the rights of the homeowner and their neighbours, avoiding excessive red tape whilst still protecting local amenity. Our practical proposals make it easier for thousands of hard-working families to undertake home improvements to cater for a growing family

Well, that's alright then. I was worried that single people might build extensions without permission, or couples, or bone-idle lottery-winning families, or undetected axe-weilding serial killers, or Eric in Uzumlu. My mind is completed put at rest knowing that hard working families will benefit.

This could be a universal justification for Government policy: "We need to invest in a replacement for the Trident missile in order to protect hard working families"; "Alcohol prices must rise in order to help hard working families keep sober (and hard working)"; "Teachers should work a 60 hour week in order to be free babysitters for hard working families"; and so on. You name it there will be a "hard working families" angle to it somewhere - several Government departments are devoted solely to the task of finding them.

Offline Eric

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 16:08:39 PM »

Eric works hard in Uzumlu for his cold weather payments from the British government :D

You do me an injustice.  I am not old enough for cold weather payments.  I have had nothing from any Government (apart from family allowance when my kids were little) and have been lucky to have worked all my life until I could take retirement.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf