Author Topic: £ 616,850 per bed  (Read 3584 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: £ 616,850 per bed
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 11:33:09 AM »
I appreciate that our Government spends money on Trident and other things some of the public do not approve of, but these things are factored into the Government spending.
However, to conjure up 50 million pounds to commemorate the death of millions people 70 years ago in another country, when the living in our country are suffering would seem to me to be a slap in the face to us from the Government's austerity measures.
I see on T.V. and in the Press every day about people struggling with a partner who has alzheimer's and getting no help.   Elderly people who cannot afford heating or food. People who need drugs to prolong their lives being denied them, because there is no money.
So where did this 50 million come from?  I know the Government have emergency funds for disasters around the world and I can perfectly understand this and this money is well spend. The question is, do we really need a new Monument for the Holocaust? 
I would just add, I had,in the past, when I lived in Liverpool many Jewish friends and currently have Jewish friends, who are lovely people, this is nothing to do with being anti-semitic.  It is to do with common sense.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 14:09:03 PM »
No it wasn't "factored in" any more than the Hillsborough Inquiry was "factored in". Doesn't mean that both shouldn't be done because the money could have been spent on the NHS.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 14:24:42 PM »
The Hillsborough Enquiry was very necessary for people who died and were wrongly accused by a corrupt Police Force and terrible injustice was done.  Families had to suffer and fight for 25 years for the latest enquiry.
I strongly object to you comparing this to 50 million being spent on a monument for people who died 70 years ago.  There are plenty of reminders and monuments of the Holocaust. Personally, I don't think we need another one in England.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 18:34:42 PM »
The Hillsborough Enquiry was very necessary for people who died and were wrongly accused by a corrupt Police Force and terrible injustice was done.  Families had to suffer and fight for 25 years for the latest enquiry.
I strongly object to you comparing this to 50 million being spent on a monument for people who died 70 years ago.  There are plenty of reminders and monuments of the Holocaust. Personally, I don't think we need another one in England.

Gaun yersel' Jacqui.                By the way everyone,  if my post has offended jews, or friends of jews, live with it, I will never apologise for my opinions, they are just that, mine !!

Offline scorcher

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 20:24:29 PM »
Always makes for an interesting landlord Gordon!   ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf