Author Topic: Syria Bombing Vote Tomorrow  (Read 7306 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Syria Bombing Vote Tomorrow
« on: December 01, 2015, 16:35:01 PM »
Parliament will be debating and voting on the issue tomorrow. It looks certain that the vote will be to start bombing. But does this represent your view? I have written to my (Labour) MP, who says she hasn't made up her mind yet, urging her to support the lead given by Jeremy Corbyn. So has Hilary and as a new Labour Party member she has also replied similarly to the Corbyn national call for the expression of opinions.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Re: Syria Bombing Vote Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 08:51:43 AM »
Yes I responded to Corbyn's consultation.  I don't say never to military action to clearing the world of ISIS, but adding bombing of ISIS in Syria to Iraq adds nothing to achieving military victory over them as I can see.  Besides which the whole area is now a massive mess in military/political terms, no real common strategy with too many participants with their own agenda's.  Some of whom, like Turkey and Saudi, has nothing to do with defeating ISIS, and others like Iran and Russia who are just keen on propping up a brutal despotic Assad regime in Syria.  So what do we want to get involved in this mess for, other than to increase the profile of 'Call Me Dave' on the world stage...pathetic pip squeek!!

I also offered the opinion that Corbyn needs to drastically lift his game as leader if firstly Labour is to lead and win this parliamentary campaign against bombing Syria, and perhaps more importantly win the next general election.  And if he can't he should stand down now ..... mind you not sure where the next Labour leader will come from.  Never seen the party so devoid of leadership, character and ideas.... perhaps it is time for my to return to the English shores to do political battle again?? .... cometh the hour cometh the man  ;)   :o  : :)

BTW not worth lobbying my local Tory MP, the man's a complete klutz.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 10:57:29 AM »
My MP has written back and said she will be voting against bombing. I suppose that makes her what Cameron calls a "terrorist sympathizer" - a despicable allegation even by his crass standards.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 11:11:31 AM »

Cameron wasn't referring to your MP, he was referring senior members of the Labour Party who
  in the past have expressed sympathy with terrorists whose atrocities have slaughtered innocent
  UK citizens. To my way of thinking they are guilty of treason.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 11:12:06 AM »
The most frustrating aspect here is that a high proportion of those voting have no idea what is happening in both Syria and northern Iraq, and not a clue how dropping tons of munitions down over a vast area will affect those NOT connected or affiliated to IS.

JF

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 11:17:48 AM »
Yes I responded to Corbyn's consultation. 

UBT - may I ask if you received one of the emails sent out by Jeremy Corbyn ?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 11:33:42 AM »
  Cameron wasn't referring to your MP, he was referring senior members of the Labour Party
I see that is the interpretation that Tory spin doctors are trying to put on it. But even those members of the Labour Party who are going to vote with the Government aren't seeing it that way.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 11:48:31 AM »
In starting his speech Cameron has insisted he did not mean that those voting "Against" today were doing anything else other than voting with "honour" but he declined to retract the original statement.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 12:20:12 PM »
senior members of the Labour Party who in the past have expressed sympathy with terrorists

Not just terrorists, I can clearly remember Ms Abbott standing beside Bernie Grant after the Broadwater Farm riots when he made his ill advised comments regarding the Police receiving "a bloody good hiding" and yes, I know he claimed his words were taken out of context but at the time, we all knew what he meant.

JF

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 13:38:05 PM »
Yes I responded to Corbyn's consultation. 

UBT - may I ask if you received one of the emails sent out by Jeremy Corbyn ?

Yes I did.  I've been a member of the Labour Party - through good and bad - for over forty years now.  So Corbyn asked my views, along with all other party members, and I responded.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf