Author Topic: Naff Xmas gift list  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Bluwise

Naff Xmas gift list
« on: December 05, 2015, 13:06:03 PM »
What have you received for Xmas past that you consider to be really naff?
I have the following on top of my list:

1)  A "title" - I can now choose to be known as Lady Bluwise.
2)  A square metre of some unheard of planet to do with as I wish.
3)  A towel with elastic around the top to stop it slipping off - big enough to fit a large 5 year old!
4)  A towelling "turban"
5)  A self-stirring mug

I know it's the thought that counts,  but just who thinks of buying these things.....  :o 

Offline Stuart T

Re: Naff Xmas gift list
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 14:51:56 PM »
1. Xmas tree ornaments!

2. A star named after me (shiny, in the sky thing - not a Hollywood celeb).

3. A "glow in the dark" toilet seat (perhaps a hidden message for me here).

4. A booklet about the real meaning of Christmas (got this last Xmas - from a "born again" friend).

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 15:33:10 PM »
My mother-in-law always bought me aftershave. I have had a full beard since age 18.

Offline sadler

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 15:34:31 PM »
I gave an elderly friend a bottle of red wine one Christmas and got it back the next Christmas, nicely wrapped, but half empty! It was a very good vintage as well, but she did shortly afterwards go into a OP home with dementia.  ;D

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 16:34:24 PM »
I have several gift packs of  "smelly" things I could re-cycle but am not 100% sure who gave them to me :-\

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 16:48:44 PM »
My younger daughter always recycles unwanted presents. Since her living spaces - bedroom, kitchen, lounge and so on - are always a complete and utter mess I asked her if she was worried about giving the present back to the person who gave it her. "Oh no, I have a spread sheet with everything on it". So that's how you do it if you if you are administratively organized.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 16:56:56 PM »
The Charity Shops will always be glad of unwanted presents.  I have seen a lot handed into the Cancer Research Shop.  In fact, I am always surprised at some of the gifts people do not want.   I have seen a couple of Yankee Candle boxed sets (and I know they are not cheap)  Also a few boxed sets of jewellery.  One set was Charles Rennie Mackintosh and it was beautiful,  I priced that up and it was sold within 10 minutes.
Bluwise, I always use a towelling turban when I get out of the shower, they are great to wrap around your wet hair.  My daughter told me about them years ago now.  I noted they are now sold in Turkey too for 5TL.  In the U.K. Home Bargains sell them for £2.50

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 16:57:42 PM »
One of the naffest gifts I have received is a bale of hay for a donkey home (I didn't actually receive the hay, just a certificate to say it had been purchased)!!  On the subject of recycling gifts, it is well known by my family and friends that I am very happy for them to pass on anything I buy them that is not suitable, much better than being thrown in the back of a drawer.  I do have the same problem as Bluwise, I cant always remember who it was that gave me an unwanted gift, so difficult to pass it on.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 11:59:14 AM »
Some years back, a friend of mine received a new ironing board from her husband.

This did not go down well.

Her hopes rose when he told her that of course he had got her something else as well.....it turned out to be a new iron to go with the board.

: :) : :) : :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf