Author Topic: First alcoholic drink and what age?  (Read 4916 times)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
First alcoholic drink and what age?
« on: December 11, 2015, 18:40:20 PM »
We were just discussing if we could remember our first alcoholic drink... Barrie said that when his Mum re. married they had a huge party and he remembers snafflin a bottle of jubilee stout and drinking it under the table when he was 11..
My first memory was going with my Mum to deliver a Christmas card to my Godmother. .. She gave me a tiny drop of sherry in a lovely  little glass and some shelled walnuts.. I must have been about 8... .Barrie also used to go from school at 14 for half a bitter and egg and chips in his local pub..

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: First alcoholic drink and what age?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 18:48:39 PM »
I was a junior in an Insurance Company along with another girl my age (we are still friends).  We were both 17 years old.
We went out with the boys from the company to watch them play football in the Insurance Leagues. After the match, the boys took us to the pub with them for a drink.  Neither of us had been in a pub before without our parents and we asked the boys to get us a babycham each.  We were terrified in case the owner chucked us out for being under aged.  However, nothing was said.  When I went home, I did not tell my Mum.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 19:30:24 PM »
I think, sadly, that my first alcoholic drink may have been Warninks Advokaat - most probably because it was the one drink nobody wanted. It was ok actually, and I would have been around 13.

My first drink of the paid for type was Ben Truman at the Dolphin in Leighton Buzzard when I was 16. The Dolphin is now an old people's home but you could taste the hops in Ben Trumans, apparently.

Offline Mr Toky

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 20:52:06 PM »
My first was Advokaat and lemonade at about 9/10 years to toast the new year with my parents and then progressed to a small sherry for the same new year toast at around 12/13 old.

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 09:08:40 AM »
Mine was probably a Charringtons or Toby light & bitter.I also remember being as sick as a parrot on rum & black and can't recall having had a dark rum since

Offline Lotty

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 09:23:03 AM »
Mine was one Christmas when I was about 11. It was ginger wine which I'd never had/seen before. I thought was like cordial and loved the fiery taste, so I kept sneaking another glass while the grown ups were busy. I've never understood till THIS YEAR why I was poorly all night! I bought some last week and see it is 13.5 % !

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 09:29:06 AM »
I'm told that I snaffled a sip of somebody's champagne when I was a bridesmaid at aged 4. For some inexplicable reason, I'd been seated on the top table, rather than with my parents. When the best man asked everyone to toast the bridesmaids, I objected very loudly that I didn't want toast, apart from my poor mother, who was, by now, trying to hide under the table, it pretty much brought the house down  :D

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 11:35:04 AM »
I didn't even know that you drank now Liz until I saw you at The Rod Stewart night. "giving it large"lol... Have a great Xmas... Hope you have recovered from the Xmas fair... xx

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 11:46:27 AM »
Mine was probably a cider at Christmas aged about 12.
1st paid for was at a local country pub aged 15, we used to sit in the beer garden and send a mate who had a 'bum fluff' beard to the bar.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 13:03:21 PM »
I didn't even know that you drank now Liz until I saw you at The Rod Stewart night. "giving it large"lol... Have a great Xmas... Hope you have recovered from the Xmas fair... xx

Didn't have to drive home that night Anne, thanks to Ray & Mrs Bucket   ;). Happy Christmas to you & Barrie & yes have now recovered from the blighty run & Christmas fair xx

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf