Author Topic: First alcoholic drink and what age?  (Read 4915 times)

Offline patrice

Re: First alcoholic drink and what age?
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 14:16:35 PM »
I was 12 on News Years eve I sneaked a glass of gin at the party and was unwell for days my parents were unaware of what I had done I have not touched it since

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 16:45:59 PM »
When we were kids we used to climb over the pub wall into their yard, get a load of empty bottles and take them round the
front to the "outdoor", get the deposits off them and buy pop and crisps.One night in the yard we found a crate of Mackeson
Ale and got stuck in. It was awful, we were heaving, never touched another drop until I was fourteen.
That pub was the centre of the local community and on Sunday mornings they held Whippet racing, there would be dozens
of dogs, three or four Bookies and an old fella with a hand cart selling Winkles & Whelks by the pint or half pint, using glass
tankards. There was all sorts being flogged "cheap" no questions asked. There was a an Indian guy,the first one I ever saw
flogging Lace, Materials and gents Ties out of suitcases. He was your original Delhi Boy.  Happy days.
The pub is now a drive through Maccies and the huge pub gardens that hosted the racing have now grown three blocks of
apartments.       :(

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 17:32:27 PM »
First taste was when I wondered what my father was drinking on a Saturday evening when I was about to go to bed. So he gave me a spoonful of the black stuff. In was Guinness and I thought it tasted worse than medicine. I guess I was seven or eight.

First "proper" drink was when I was probably about fifteen, in a back street pub in the far-from-elegant Weston-Super-Mare. It was a half of rough cider {those not from the West Country may well call it "scrumpy"} and cost 5d - which is about 2p in new-fangled currency.

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2015, 18:57:25 PM »
After smelling my father's beer when I was quite young, I never touched a drink till I was 23. It was a Cinzano and lemonade, and once I got the buzz I liked it, and have spent the last forty years liking all sorts of alcohol especially dry white wine or a nice vodka and tonic!!!

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2015, 21:11:22 PM »
lager and lime at 16 hated it and never drank again till i was 29

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2015, 21:18:27 PM »
My first was Advokaat and lemonade.....

Me too mr toky - not sure about how old I was. I suspect that you won't be having an Advokatt at the time I posted this   :)  :)  :)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2015, 10:02:11 AM »
Mine was probably a Charringtons or Toby light & bitter.I also remember being as sick as a parrot on rum & black and can't recall having had a dark rum since
Crikes Badge snap!!  First paid for pint was a Charringtons Light and Bitter... bloody awful.  But that's what men drunk then ... me and my chums was only sweet sixteen, as we sat in the dark corner of the public bar of the Blue Anchor supping the gut rot.  And feeling very pleased with ourselves too!!

Offline marina

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2015, 10:22:59 AM »
Funny to read how many people recall getting drunk, and consequently very sick, on a particular drink and never touching it again!  Mine was cider, when I was about 15. It wasn't my first alcoholic drink but the memory of it lingers to this day. Just the thought of it makes me feel ill even now!   :(

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2015, 11:22:10 AM »
I finished off on my eighteenth birthday with several rum and blacks. Following that I could never go near the stuff; if someone sat on the next table in a pub with a rum I could smell it and had to move away. Then, a couple of years ago, my younger daughter went to Barbados on honeymoon and brought me back a small bottle of Barbadian Four Square rum. Absolutely delicious and nothing like the stuff they sell in UK pubs. I loved it.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2015, 11:49:29 AM »

One ill fated evening with my mates at a dance I decided to try Barley Wine and drank a lot of them all evening.
  I woke up mid morning lying in the snow on a garden wall in a brand new suit absolutely freezing and a hangover
  that lasted two days. Deadly potion.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf