Author Topic: Dick Van Dyke  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Dick Van Dyke
« on: December 14, 2015, 18:45:48 PM »
Dick Van Dyke is 90 years old today.  A Mary Poppins flash mob helped him celebrate.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/566ecebee4b0e292150e6a87?ir=Entertainment&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000024

Offline AOK

• Plumstead, London, UK
Re: Dick Van Dyke
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 18:50:15 PM »
saw that on TV today.He's not doing bad for 90 !!

Offline AOK

• Plumstead, London, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 18:51:28 PM »
He's NOT doing bad for 90 !!
 :P

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 19:34:40 PM »
That reminds me.... ;D

Back in the 50's, a man walked into a Hollywood agent's office. He told the agent that he wanted to be a big star and that he wanted the agent to represent him. The agent asked the man's name, to which he proudly replied, "Penis Van Lesbian." Taken aback, the agent said, "If you want to be a big star, you will have to change your name." The man, somewhat offended, told the agent, "The Van Lesbian name goes back centuries and I am very proud of my name! I will never change my name! Ever!" "Then I won't be able to represent you." Said the agent. "Then good day to you, sir!" The man yelled as he stormed out of the office.
Five years later, the agent received a letter along with a check for $50,000, written out to him. He wondered if it was sent to him by mistake until he read the letter.
The letter said,
Dear Sir, Five years ago, I came into your office wanting to become an actor in Hollywood and you told me I needed to change my name. Determined to make it with my God-given birth name, I refused. You told me I would never make it in Hollywood with a name like Penis Van Lesbian. After I left your office, I thought about what you said. I decided you were right. I had to change my name. I had too much pride to return to your office, so I signed with another agent. I would never have made it without changing my name, so the enclosed check is a token of my appreciation. Thank you for your advice..
Sincerely,
Dick Van Dyke

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 21:31:44 PM »
Get yer coat !

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 13:03:52 PM »
I hope I can look that good at 90!!

Mind you I think that his better performance was in the far superior Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, as he was able to do away with that 'orribeel cockernee accent.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 13:24:43 PM »
Yeah, who wants an accent like those horrible cockneys?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 16:27:03 PM »
I've been accused of being a Cockernee on a number of occasions.

Mind you, it was mostly by Scousers, Mancs and Wooly Backs who mostly think that anyone from south of the Thelwall Viaduct is a Southerner.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 22:42:42 PM »
Yeah, who wants an accent like those horrible cockneys?
Maybe you don't, but I am sure you poetic welsh enjoyed what Hollywood did to the Welsh accent in How Green was my Valley. All those boyos and Staceys sounding more oirish than sing song welsh, isn't it! Still the film does show how the welsh are always singing, shame they only seem to have only one song.  At least Chas and Dave have had a number of hits ..... Gertcha!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf