Author Topic: Family Christmas Traditions  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Family Christmas Traditions
« on: December 24, 2015, 10:52:40 AM »
Do you have some small thing that you buy, make or do that is always part of Christmas in your household? I make watercress soup to start Xmas lunch and never make it at any other time in the year. Just starting it off now

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Re: Family Christmas Traditions
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 11:40:30 AM »
Yes - always forget the bread sauce! find it in the microwave on boxing day usually!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 12:38:22 PM »
We are a family of traditions (the kids and I know that to get mum to agree to anything we need to do it two year running and award it 'tradition' status).

Our Christmas Eve one is simple. No cooking, it's a chippy tea tradition :D

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 12:52:42 PM »
When my mum was alive, she always left icing the christmas cake until christmas eve evening & get upset when it didn't work out as she'd wanted. It was more than just the icing that was frosty one year when dad suggested that, as she'd made the cake in September, it may have been better if she'd not left it to the last minute  ???

What I would give to have that debate raging tonight  :(

Offline George Warner

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 13:45:03 PM »
For the last 15 years the tradition has been going out for an Indian Curry on Christmas Eve,this year however we will be cooking and eating at home.

Offline Steve A

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 15:54:21 PM »
Only tradition I have is hitting the ale as often as I can Merry hic Xmas !

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 14:50:14 PM »
The End of the Festivities
   Hilary has a very certain idea of when the end of the Christmas festivities falls. It is January 2nd. I plead, uselessly, about the "12 Days of Christmas" and that nobody else has this rule but she enforces this tradition with a rod of iron and will not be brooked on the matter. Lights must be taken down, and so must Christmas cards. And, worst of all, the tree must be thrown out - even though the Council won't be picking them up until the 11th of January.
   So this year I decided to try starting a counter-tradition. For the first Sunday lunch after New Year I would attempt rib of beef. Now this is a rare delight; it ain't cheap. But last Sunday I cooked a rib for our lunch. Hilary used up some of an elderly bottle of port and some redcurrant jelly in making the rich gravy. Absolutely superb! Now I have to establish that as our new Christmas tradition. Even if the tree is lying on our front garden.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 12:42:57 PM »
Boxing Day tea - slices of cold turkey breast, mashed potato and pickled onions/beetroot/chutney.

Had that for as long as I can remember but I still look forward to it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf