Author Topic: Quitting smoking  (Read 6816 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

Re: Quitting smoking
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 17:59:51 PM »
Good Luck  Karennina. It, s been 10 years this February for me. After several attempts I finally managed it with the patches.  No one believed I would or even could.( One of the comments was your mrs dont smoke em she eats em)..oh ye of little faith..
Keep on keeping on, and one of these days you might suprise yourself and the others and crack it. I remember my mam saying to me they will be a fiver a pack before you know it...now they are a tenner. I couldnt afford to start again even if I wanted to.
The very best of Luck to you.x

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 19:15:10 PM »
If I remember correctly it was when a packet of cigarettes hit £1 that was a turning point for me.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 07:30:08 AM »
I tried many times, but suddenly had a moment when I realised I just didn't want to be a smoker anymore. I used patches, starting highest and gradually reducing over 10 weeks.
I also joined a quitters forum, the most important bit I remember was that each craving only lasts a couple of minutes, get through that and you've cracked it.
My dad is a vaper , has been for 3 years, has no nicotine in it now, but can't break the habit.
Personally I think it's ridiculous and worry what's in it, but he looks ( and smells ) so much better.
The biggest success has been my sister. She did a day course that she got on Groupon a year ago for £100.
She's tried everything and none of us expected it to work.
They  make you smoke your usual amount all day during the course.
By the end of the day everyone felt ridiculous and didn't want anymore but had to finish them.
I think it's based on Alan Carrs methods, no hypnosis, just completely changed the way she saw her relationship with cigarettes.
Good luck Karen, you can do it.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 07:39:00 AM »

My dad is a vaper , has been for 3 years, has no nicotine in it now, but can't break the habit.
Personally I think it's ridiculous and worry what's in it,

It's going to be interesting in 10, 15 maybe 20 years when scientists announce what disease has been started or exacerbated by the use of the various forms off smoking substitutes.

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 10:39:31 AM »
I gave up in 1998 after a 37 year nicotine habit which ran through cigarettes, pipe and Hamlets. At the time I was on a sixty quid a week cocktail of Condor and Hamlet. I paid 55 quid to a hypnotist and have not touched tobacco of any sort since.

Offline Mr Toky

• Newly Registered
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 18:02:39 PM »
I was a smoker of up to 30 a day till quitting a GOOD few years back. The one thing i would question as KKOB has touched on is how safe are these new vaper/liquid smoking habits (Only time will tell as with other things that were deemed safe at the time) and have now have major health issues. It also started of with a small pen like device and now seems people have smoking gun like devices.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 19:03:39 PM »
One of the other things that was deemed safe (and even healthy) being smoking!

Offline sadler

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 19:11:19 PM »
I found it really easy to give up smoking. I didn't start in the first place!   ;) :o ;D

Offline Lotty

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2016, 21:18:18 PM »
Correct Keith. In the forties my mother's doctor recommended cigarettes for her nerves. She suffered with chest problems most of her life, but sadly she was hooked.  :(

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2016, 21:33:41 PM »
I gave up in 2009 not long after moving back from Turkey. I used Champix which really worked for me - I know it doesn't with everyone. I still get the occasional "cigarette moment" impulse now, 6 years on. Maybe 2 a month (and 7 a day when in Turkey).

I'd never smoke one though - mainly because I know how easy it is to slip back in, and how bloody hard it is to break free.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf