Author Topic: Quitting smoking  (Read 6815 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Quitting smoking
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2016, 14:46:36 PM »
just think what you can do with the money saved from not smoking or drinking  ;D  ;)
I bought an espresso machine and developed a taste for the best olives. I wanted a regular taste treat for the tongue without piling on the inches. Since Hilary and I gave up at the same time we also resolved to take two foreign holidays a year instead of one - something we have dutifully carried out for the last 12 years. [But I didn't give up drinking!]

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2016, 20:28:03 PM »

I watched a discussion on TV today about the Government's proposal to ban smoking in HM Prisons.
  The bleeding hearts and penal reformers were almost in tears at the prospect. "What are they going
  to do all day without cigarettes".?   Some hard work might take their minds off smoking and pay for their keep.!!

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2016, 12:43:06 PM »

From  3rd November Turkey no longer provides free medicines to Lung Cancer patients that have smoked.

Liver's next. ??          :(

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2016, 13:35:54 PM »
Sadly, I guess that means those who have at some point smoked (long before they put cancer in cigarettes) and since given up will also be refused free treatment.

Wonder how far back they'll go........there are many ex smokers encouraging Karennina who gave up years ago.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2016, 15:06:12 PM »
How would they prove that though. Going back a long time? The governments have made a fortune out of smoking. What is advertising if not encouragement. They condoned it then so therefore they should put some money back to fund this care.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2016, 15:29:12 PM »
From  3rd November Turkey no longer provides free medicines to Lung Cancer patients that have smoked.

It was this month Kevin, 3rd Feb - and it looks like there may be a few challenges raised in court over it:

"Ankara Bar Association head Hakan Canduran stated that they would take the regulation, which he said violates constitutionally and internationally-protected health rights, to court."

Devrim Güngör, an associate law professor at Ankara University, also criticized the change.

“One-sided and arbitrary changes in the provisions of general health insurance are unlawful. A person cannot just be left to die based on their mistakes or personal preferences. Many diseases are caused by unhealthy lifestyles. For example, this regulation could lead to hospitals asking for patients to meet weight criteria in order to fund medicines for cardiovascular disease patients.”.

HDN

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2016, 15:48:12 PM »
Many diseases are caused by unhealthy lifestyles.
And not just diseases according to the Caliph in Ankara. Coal mining is an unhealthy lifestyle and can cause death and injury. And not just from mine collapses.

Erdogan aide helps security forces to protect the President from mourning miner.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2016, 15:49:41 PM »
Totally agree with this JohnF - it's tantamount to punishing people for their lifestyles, how far will it go? There are so many things that influence our health. Some people will be affected by them but not others, it's total discrimination. Nobody deliberately goes out of their way to become ill. Outrageous!

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2016, 17:32:24 PM »

It's not difficult to figure out where the directive came from and I wasn't joking about the Livers. Boozers beware.       >:(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf