Author Topic: Trying Spain again (under protest)  (Read 6036 times)

Offline Bluwise

Re: Trying Spain again (under protest)
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 17:22:27 PM »
We're about to have a week in Nerja.  Not our first choice and nothing to do with falling out of love with Calis / feeling unsafe / taking a risk.
(Had we been able to get to Calis direct we would be there without hesitation but Nerja it is.  Calis will have to wait until June.)

We just feel in need of a break and hopefully some sunshine.  Canaries are out because I'm sick of trawling Owners Direct and Holiday lettings for accommodation that looks OK and is not up "cardiac hill" or a bus ride to a bar.   So, a bit of a risk on the sunshine front for Costa del Sol but fingers crossed.  It's rained all week in Tenerife and Lanzarote when we've been there so no guarantees if we went there either.
Packing is a pain - some warm clothes, some sunshine clothes, sandals and waterproofs - YUK!

I will report back on our findings as to whether it really is as cheap to go to Spain these days (as some have said) for eating out etc but I doubt it somehow.
I know where we would rather be going but mustn't be ungrateful.

Be honest Blue wise, you have just realised Calis is finished, even OUR Jacqui H R H has. and you only have to look on here to see who comes on every day
, all locations from the UK, some haven't  been here for over 8 years, ref Knob or should that be kkob.  IM BACK.

I am being honest and I thought I had made it clear it was not a case of loving our hols in Calis any less.
No,  I have not just realised Calis is finished. Is it?       

I've heard of "selective hearing" but selective reading???

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 18:46:52 PM »
Just ignore him Bluwise.  He's just a bitter, small minded EPK (Ex-Pat Knobhead) who I suspect has been on the Efes all day and has come on here to have his regular drunken rant - likely fueled partly by alcohol and, when he attacks other members, by jealousy.

JF

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 18:55:00 PM »
Thanks JohnF -
It's quite sad really...........

Offline thebillet

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 19:27:38 PM »
Just booked an Andalucian road trip, Granada, Cordoba, Seville, Cadiz as a direct replacement for our Turkish holiday. Friends were due to come to Turkey with us but asked to change a while back after the negative news from Turkey. I must say we would have preferred the relaxed arrangements we have had in Turkey when we could just turn up drop our bags and head out, as it is a lot more hassle than trawling through websites to book each stage of a journey. A new adventure for us after 12+ years of gulets, holidays and an apartment. However we will be back at some point but in the meantime we are exploring new areas and returning to favoured haunts.

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 19:30:52 PM »
Jealous. of what John F, your self imposed superior status of an administrator. by the way I don't drink efes or smoke , and  cant understand  what you mean by a regular drunken rant. as I have,nt been on here for a while now, and as most people I see on here are in the UK and haven't got a clue of what is happening in Calis. HAVE A NICE DAY.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 19:37:46 PM »
Jealous. of what John F, your self imposed superior status of an administrator. by the way I don't drink efes or smoke , and  cant understand  what you mean by a regular drunken rant. as I have,nt been on here for a while now, and as most people I see on here are in the UK and haven't got a clue of what is happening in Calis. HAVE A NICE DAY.

So, why are you here then Des?
AND what does where Sue goes on holiday have to do with your idea that Calis is finished?

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 19:53:03 PM »
What do you mean Anne? why am I here?  I'm not in England, and what makes you think I'm in Calis anymore.   ;)  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 20:32:13 PM »
Here Des as in on CBF, not here Des as in Calis...

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 20:35:22 PM »
I will report back on our findings as to whether it really is as cheap to go to Spain these days (as some have said) for eating out etc but I doubt it somehow.

I think you might be surprised, even though you're in one of the most expensive (outside major cities) areas, the Costa del Sol.  Stay away from the obvious tourist bars/restaurants and find out where the locals go - money is tight in Spain, high unemployment (circa 35% in Andalucia) and an economy that is struggling mean the locals usually patronise places that offer the best value.  If the menu is only in Spanish that's always a good start  ;)

Just booked an Andalucian road trip, Granada, Cordoba, Seville, Cadiz as a direct replacement for our Turkish holiday.

We were in both Granada and Cordoba in December just gone - Granada quite pricey for eating out at times, Cordoba far more reasonable with (in our opinion) a far better choice for food.  Both lovely places to stay for a few days, biggest drawback is parking and navigation if you're in the old town area of either.  Sat nav essential!

Cadiz is very pretty but we prefer its near neighbour Jerez.  Been spending a fair bit of time in Jerez recently and have just decided to rent a house there over this coming Winter. 

Pricewise, Jerez is even cheaper than Granada & Cordoba and has some superb restaurants - then there is also the Fino and Manzanilla at silly prices!  As you've got a car, it'd be worth a trip to Jerez from Cadiz; also Sanlúcar de Barrameda and El Puerto de Santa María are close by and worth a visit for the Manzanilla and fish restaurants respectively.  If you go to either on a Sunday, go early as they both fill up with Spanish families in the afternoon.

If you want any info about any of the above, give me a shout - we often take our car or hire one so have suffered a few of the pitfalls already  :)

HAVE A NICE DAY.

Thank you. I have had a nice day, although it was kind of you to say that.

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 20:42:22 PM »
We decided it was time not to automatically return to Calis in around 2010 - we seemed to believe because we had our house there still, that is where we would have to go for hols. It was a bit scary booking ABC (anywhere but Calis) after years of it. We chose Nerja because we knew it from years ago and we weren't ready for the unknown.

We loved it - we loved showing the girls that abroad wasn't just Turkey, the value (3 courses for 9.90 euro) in really nice restaurants, the difference just for the sake of it - and a shorter/cheaper flight  :) Oh, and the fab wine for a few euros a bottle  ;)

We don't believe Calis is finished, as many CBF members don't - it is people like us that will stand shoulder to shoulder with our restaurateur and hotelier friends in Turkey in the good times and bad. But man cannot live on Calis alone.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf