Author Topic: Trying Spain again (under protest)  (Read 6033 times)

Offline marina

Re: Trying Spain again (under protest)
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 21:23:01 PM »
We first went to Spain in 1971 like many people did then.  We've been holidaying there most years since to many different parts of the country.  We had a lovely 10 day break in Ibiza last October.  We've been to most of the 'Costas' and cities such as Barcelona, Granada, Seville (which I loved) Toledo, Cordoba.  All super places to visit.  Spain is somewhere that can cater for just about anyone, both in terms of what you want from a holiday and in what you want to spend.  Even in Ibiza last year there were plenty of places offering a 'menu del dia' offering three courses for about 10 euros.  Calis has been our favourite place to holiday since 2002 but we've only ever gone once a year, we always go somewhere else too and it's quite often Spain. 

Bluwise, I'm sure you'll have a lovely time, fingers crossed for the weather for you  and remember, it's your holiday so  :P to what anyone else thinks!    ;)  :)  8)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2016, 21:27:36 PM »
as most people I see on here are in the UK and haven't got a clue of what is happening in Calis. HAVE A NICE DAY.

Des - if you are not in Calis anymore doesn't that put you in the same category wherever you are.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2016, 22:29:49 PM »
A few miles from Spain but next week we depart for our March holiday in Faro, Portugal for 10 days.

Never been before but giving it a bash.

Partner worried about Turkey for our usual (planned and saved for) 3 week holiday to Fethiye in September.

Ankara bombings coupled with some unsavoury comments last year from waiters in Car Cemetery and Blue Bar haven't helped.

I think the waiters were Kurds but they made my other half feel under pressure.

I love Fethiye but there were some uncomfortable moments last year.

Never experienced that before.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2016, 22:34:43 PM »
I think the waiters were Kurds but they made my other half feel under pressure.

What's that got to do with anything? 

JF

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2016, 23:06:32 PM »
A lot, really. The Kurds, of course, have a different agenda from the native Turks.

Their views were far from the "hail fellow, well met" attitude of the Fethiye  - based waiters we have become accustomed to.

They were very much against the the oppressive Turkish regime, though admittedly there was only one outspoken person in each place -  however, both spoke of considerable unrest and hostility to come.

It was the first time in 15 years that anyone has presented their views in this way.

Up 'til then we had just been anonymous foreign customers in whatever place we had eaten.

It made us feel that we were expected to "take sides".

I don't know enough to do that.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2016, 23:41:28 PM »
I think you are reading far too much into it, and possibly "believing what you've been told" by others in respect of Kurds.  A good proportion of those you describe as "the Fethiye  - based waiters" would have been of Kurdish descent.  Rude waiters are rude waiters irrespective of their ethnic heritage. 

I've known Levent (and Alaattin) who own Car Cem for sixteen years or so and find it very odd that you'd experience what you described there.  The only agenda in Car Cem is to make as much money as they can before the season ends leaving them only locals at the weekend - and unless something's changed in the past year or so, most of their staff are what you would describe as "Fethiye - based".  Deep Blue, I've rarely used it, although I think there's one or two regulars are active members of CBF.

JF

Offline faymoore

• Enjoy your life,this is not a dress rehearsal!
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 00:23:31 AM »
A few miles from Spain but next week we depart for our March holiday in Faro, Portugal for 10 days.

Never been before but giving it a bash

Stuart T

It depends what you are looking for, but I'm pretty sure you will love it in Portugal's Algarve region.

Sue & I have been visiting for many years ( currently here at the moment on a 4 week break)

Weatherwise between 18 / 20 presently but certainly feels warmer at times.

Plenty of beaches, bars & restaurants all along the coast West of Faro.

Everywhere easy accessible via car & local transport links very good.

And similar to Spain cost wise.. 3 course tourist menu less than €10 etc..

Ps.
Like many others we have not fallen out of love with Turkey...
(Just the UK winter weather)

Enjoy!       :)

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 09:22:37 AM »
The chap from the Car Cemetery was there in 2014 as well but was friendly and smiley then.

It was only on our last visit that he was outspokenly "political" but not at all rude. Just a bit of a doom monger about Turkey's future that made for an uncomfortable few minutes.

He's a short, bald fellow who works pretty hard.

It was only him there at the time - the chap with the beard and the motor scooter had gone off shopping and the older guy (Mehmet?) wasn't there at all.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2016, 09:33:37 AM »
He's a short, bald fellow who works pretty hard.

Suleyman (aka Sly).  I'm sure he wont be overly offended that you think he's Kurdish - in actual fact he's originally from Bursa, his family are Georgian and his wife is from Bellshill in Lanarkshire...

JF

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
Seems I read his origins wrongly.....he was politically passionate - not really what we were expecting during a lazy afternoon coffee!

Seemed to be anti - Turk!

Quite simply, we felt uncomfortable and didn't fancy a repeat performance so we didn't go back.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf