Author Topic: Offshore scandal  (Read 4676 times)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Offshore scandal
« on: April 03, 2016, 20:44:57 PM »

Sky News are reporting the biggest financial information leak in history, coming from a large offshore Bank.

The "Panama Papers" contain 11 million files and name 12 World Leaders, former UK MPs and British Peers.

They are being scrutinised by more than 70 Journalists around the world and it looks as though the next

few months could be interesting for some and embarrassing for others. No mention of shoe boxes yet.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Offshore scandal
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 21:18:42 PM »
So, world leaders and the ultra-rich are channelling huge amounts of dodgy money through offshore accounts. Who'd have thought it ?

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 22:06:53 PM »

In the past it was just talk. Tonight a Mr Putin has been linked to $ 2 billion dollars in just one bank.

A Mr Blair has been mentioned, possibly the same Mr Blair that promised politics "whiter than white".

Fifa officials have received a mention, and the cloak of secrecy is being lifted. An awful lot of people

have now got to explain how they amassed their fortunes and where the money came from.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 09:12:52 AM »
An awful lot of people have now got to explain how they amassed their fortunes and where the money came from.

Do you honestly believe that's going to happen ?

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 09:27:21 AM »

In a lot of cases yes.  A lot of people have shareholders and voters to answer to. There will also be Income Tax officials

around the globe anxious to earn their stripes and perhaps settle old scores. One thing is for sure, it's squeaky bum time

for many. The files are very detailed and track the movements of all sums.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 10:32:55 AM »
    There will also be Income Tax officials  around the globe anxious to earn their stripes and perhaps settle old scores.
Sadly Kevin I rather suspect that might apply in many other countries, but based on their record to date it will not apply to the UK and our valiant team of tax collectors at HMRC.  The interesting one to watch, from a UK perspective will be Lord Ashcroft, a master of tax dodging who has bankrolled the Tories election campaign in all the key marginals for the last three General Elections.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 11:22:30 AM »

Did you forget to mention a Mr Blair.?  Apparently his complex web of fiscal dealings has emerged, Lionel Messi's dealings are exposed,

the Icelandic Prime Minister Mr Gunnlaugson may be kicked out of office for concealing his wealth, Libya's Gaddafi and Syria's Assad

have had their dealings exposed. The other side of these files is that bribes and favors paid to others could now become traceable.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 17:05:08 PM »
Dave Cameron has vowed to crack down on these disgraceful tax cheats. Ironic then that the late Cameron Snr. was one of them.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 17:57:50 PM »

Stereotype Challenge

Try looking at this image without falling into an offensive stereotyping trap.
He is the King of Saudi Arabia and a client of Mossack Fonseca.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 18:10:13 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 18:20:46 PM »
I have fallen into that trap......

....however, hundreds of the Saudis (all branches of the same royal family, it seems) all look remarkably similar through my infidel eyes.

Can they really believe that a beard and moustache suits every one of them? If that's a religious thing, my apologies for my ignorance and any insensitivity.

Many didn't look like that when their photo's were taken at Oxford or Cambridge universities. H

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf