Author Topic: Offshore scandal  (Read 4677 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Offshore scandal
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 15:55:57 PM »
The first world leader to be toppled over the Panama papers?

The Icelandic Prime Minister, Sigmundur Gunnlaugsson*, named as one of the 12 world leaders in the leaked Panama papers, has lost the support of his own party and threatened to call a snap General Election. The Icelandic President has refused this and is consulting  with other parliamentary parties. “After what happened to this country in 2008 we needed honesty, transparency and integrity from our leaders,” said Bigitta Jonsdottir of the interestingly named Pirate Party. Quite so.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/05/panama-papers-iceland-gunnlaugsson-snap-election-request-turned-down

[* Those you you who followed the excellent recent "Trapped" TV series will be familiar with struggling with these Icelandic personal names.]

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 16:42:13 PM »

Stereotype Challenge

Try looking at this image without falling into an offensive stereotyping trap.
He is the King of Saudi Arabia and a client of Mossack Fonseca.

I can honestly state that my intense hatred for the House of Saud, their kingdom and their hypocritical and duplicitous approach to international relations is not rooted in any form of stereotyping.

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 16:47:26 PM »
I understand how you feel. But do you suspect that his left hand is holding a curved dagger up his right sleeve?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 16:50:29 PM »
If it is, it's probably been supplied by BAE, Raytheon, GE et al in return for a fistful of tainted dollars.

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 16:55:27 PM »
  the Icelandic Prime Minister Mr Gunnlaugson may be kicked out of office for concealing his wealth
Yep, he's gone.

Offline sandgrounder

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 18:25:44 PM »
The Panama Papers now have a page on Wikipedia   ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_Papers

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 20:17:19 PM »
The Panama Papers now have a page on Wikipedia    ;)

AND a page on CBF ? They MUST be important then !  ;)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 21:15:04 PM »

The latest person to face problems via the panama papers is the new FIFA President, Mr Infantino. The list grows.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 15:39:33 PM »
You are rather good at predicting the next green bottle to fall off the wall Kevin. Do you have an inside line on this? Last year UEFA assured the investigating authorities that UEFA collectively, and Infantino personally, had no connection with a Mr Jinkis indicted on charges of $100million fraud. The Panama papers showed Mr Infantino was a co-signatory of UEFA-Jinkis contracts. Mr Infantino would like you to know that he has done nothing wrong: he simply has a poor memory.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 17:05:33 PM »

This afternoon police raided the Swiss HQ of UEFA and collected lots of data. I think Mr Infantino's statement today that he

is "dismayed " speaks volumes. If I was in his position and innocent I would be bleedin' outraged. But I think the whole sport's

investigation has got a long way to run. The US missed out on some big events due to corruption, they have got the evidence

and they are going after the big guys. There is more than one way to skin a Putin. The Russians said they had destroyed all

their computers used in their "winning " World Cup bid. I think the US will prove that destruction irrelevant. I think the same

investigators will cause some big problems to the Zarrab / Iran / Turkey triangle.        Mystic Kev.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf