Author Topic: Europe  (Read 13105 times)

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
Re: Europe
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 23:21:19 PM »
I may be naive, but I am scared. Sometimes is the devil you know not better than the devil you dont?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 23:26:10 PM »
No

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 07:39:44 AM »
I'm confident we can stand on our own as a country, my worry is how long it will take to find new markets, lots of companies live month to month and may not survive in the interim period. if I was German French etc. and we vote to pull out, I would be like a woman scorned and say we don't need to trade with you. I really want to leave Europe but so many uncertainties. I will be fine I don't need a job but most of my family do.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 08:48:46 AM »
I was undecided. Now I'm not.
AND ?????

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 16:50:58 PM »
It depends on what mood I am in   ;)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2016, 17:38:29 PM »
I'm confident we can stand on our own as a country, my worry is how long it will take to find new markets, lots of companies live month to month and may not survive in the interim period. if I was German French etc. and we vote to pull out, I would be like a woman scorned and say we don't need to trade with you. I really want to leave Europe but so many uncertainties. I will be fine I don't need a job but most of my family do.

Mark the overwhelming number of businesses (and public bodies or agencies) do not trade with Europe, or indeed trade internationally at all.  I do not think the Germans or French would start to play games with us, as the British Market is too important to them, and the rest of Europe.  So I am not sure that those particular worries and the impact they would have on jobs stands up to scrutiny.  Almost certainly your family members will be better off in the jobs market, as that  'surplus' labour from the EU in the last 10 years - in particular since the population of the ultra low wage economies of east europe were able to work in the UK and then the rest of the EU - has been used to fill hundreds of thousands of jobs and often driving down both wages and conditions at the same time.

Offline davybill

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2016, 17:54:06 PM »
If its true according brexit  coming out of EU can save UK over £3million a week?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 18:42:46 PM »
I can understand the political arguments against the EU even though I don't share them. The economic arguments for Brexit seem flimsy at best. Four months ago I kept hearing that the EU was an old and decaying economy and Britain's future lay with trading with new and vibrant economies such as China (nobody explained why they supposed we couldn't increase trade with China while remaining in the EU - as indeed we have been doing). Now that China is in its own slump, is dumping its surplus steel on us and has raised a 46% tariff wall against British steel being exported to them, I notice that the Brexiteers have gone very quite quiet about the Chinese future for Britain. It is mere wishful thinking to suppose that tearing the UK out of the EU, and then entering long and undoubtedly difficult negotiations about our future economic relationship will not have a significant medium term impact on the British economy. This is not merely because we will be "the outsiders" it will be because the EU itself will suffer deeply from the shock of our exit and our main market will be thrown into recession. In the longer term perhaps our economy will recover. Perhaps.

Another argument is about immigration. I doubt whether leaving the EU will have any major impact on new UK immigration and the Brexiteers have sworn that those already in this country will not be affected and can stay. Of all the "leave" arguments the most feeble is cost of membership. The cost of EU membership per person is 55p a day; a quarter of the amount a great many people appear willing to pay for their morning cup of coffee. Surely we are not going to base a decision on our children's and grandchildren's future on such paltry bookkeeping? How much of that 55p do you suppose will find its way into your pocket, or the NHS, or the education system? And how much into further tax cuts for the wealthy?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 19:16:55 PM »
But is the fact that things might be difficult for a while if we leave a reason just to stay forever? Maybe it's a good storm to ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2016, 19:21:36 PM »
I like a rough ride.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf