Author Topic: School Holidays  (Read 2852 times)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
School Holidays
« on: May 13, 2016, 21:22:29 PM »

A father took his daughter out of school for 1 week to take her to Florida. He was fined by the school, refused to pay and has gone through   

the courts and today the Judges backed him. Between September 2014 and August 2015  64,000 families have been fined, yet schools

are shut for Elections, and kids are excluded from school for teacher training days. Should parents be criminalised, should Governments

tackle unfair holiday company pricing practices. ??      What does the team think. ??         ???

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: School Holidays
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 21:38:46 PM »
Should they be criminalised ?

Absolutely !!!!!!!!!!!!!. Jail them and throw the key away.

How dare they take their kids out of school when I deliberately take my holidays when they should be at school !!!!

PS I did think about smileys at various places..............

Online Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 21:46:33 PM »
The Government should definitely tackle holiday companies for unfair extortionate prices. I have to take my holidays in school holidays due to working in a school. I hear many stories from children who don't have s holiday either in UK or abroad because their family can't afford the prices. The holiday companies say because of supply and demand in school holidays they have to increase prices....yeah right!  >:(

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 22:07:02 PM »
Agreed Rana.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 22:34:23 PM »
Spot on Rana.
Well done to that Dad for taking them on too.

Offline MarKar

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 22:43:12 PM »
For us as a family fortunately its not about the cost its about when we can get leave from work, together, as myself and my hubby have to share holiday leave time with other members of staff and have seasonal leave restrictions its also about wanting to come out for more than a week.
I have and will continue to take my children out of school, we only nick a few days either side of the Whitsun holiday so we can manage about 12 days in turkey and then about about 2 and half weeks in August.
I try to tag the few days to the school holiday so I don't take them out for too long, this doesn't actually save us any money but there is no other school holiday where we can take 2 wks together.
Up to this point I haven't been fined but my children have always had 98%/100% at the time, but having said that I may be tempting fate as I will be doing it again this Whitsun...so watch this space.
To be honest I think I am becoming a rebellious parent as I am getting sick and tired of being told how and what is best for my children by establishments that haven't got a pigging clue, children are being pushed and pushed many are unhappy and stressed, the latest farcical drama about the sats is only the tip of the iceberg.
My friends school has recently had an incident where a 7 yr old  shockingly tried to jump out of a window because he couldn't cope, children are no longer allowed to be children they are just coached into how to be an adult version of a child ready for the big wide world....and they wander why so many children have mental heath issues....err hello let them be children....let them come home from school and be kids not ply them with home work from 5 years of age!! .
Well I can better prepare my children for the big wide world by taking them out in it so they can see for themselves thank you very much.
We are hard working parents, earn a decent living, we are kind people have good morals which I am hoping my children will learn from.
So I say good on the Isle of Wight chap for taking on the dept of education again and won, perhaps he should become the education secretary because Nicky Morgan and her predecessor Michael Gove are making a right pigs ear of it.

Rant over!
markar

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 23:02:43 PM »
Having had my kids go through school and my wife work in a school it has been expensive all the way.
This year the kids are grown up and the wife has left work so we look forward to a good 2 weeks in June, the flights being 2/3rds of what we normally pay for whit week. It should be sorted by the Government and Children should be granted some leave without fines. IMHO

Offline MarKar

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 23:19:38 PM »
Bewva, thats all very well, but not all working parents can take holidays during school holidays, take postmen/women they are given there holiday dates at random they can only swop dates within their team, does that mean they are not allowed a family holiday?

markar

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 23:26:15 PM »
What about working people who don't have kids and have a fight to get holidays during the school holidays.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 23:29:38 PM »
  My kids went through the Education system before Big Brother kicked off but every year we took them out the week before the

summer holidays and saved a fortune. But for the rest of the year they usually had 100 % attendance and were always in class

early, in fact they usually enjoyed school, Taking them out had absolutely no effect on their education and they have gone on to

make good lives for themselves and their families.Regular truancy has to be tackled for the kids sake but one or two weeks a year

for regular attendees should not be punishable. Yet more interference from councils who would do well to look at their own shortcomings.

We used to visit my wife's family in the US and the savings for going that week early were in four figures.How do the airlines justify that.??
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 23:43:46 PM by kevin3 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf