Author Topic: School Holidays  (Read 2851 times)

Offline MarKar

• Newly Registered
Re: School Holidays
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 23:47:11 PM »
Highlander, you are quite right, employers feel obligated to give working parents first refusal of school holidays, but that goes back to what I was saying not everyone can pick and choose when they can take annual leave that easily, doesn't mean family time is any the less important.
A common sense approach needs to be taken, fines should be for prolific truanting, and lateness not decent parents who want to spend quality time together as a family.

markar

Offline Lotty

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 09:15:51 AM »
Let parents make their own choices for their kids. Most schools are in wind-down mode at the end of the summer term, sports days and fun days are always when the academic side is completed. If necessary then kids can make up for the few days they've missed, and no parent would deliberately harm their child's future. It's all become a ridiculous money raising and bullying control tactic. All my kids missed a couple of days at summer holiday time and they're now successful adults. Good on this man for having the tenacity to stick with it despite the fact that he would have had a massive costs bill if he had lost.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 09:21:35 AM »
Having brought up two daughters I must say it never crossed my mind to take them out of school simply to go on holiday. But we were able to plan our time off work to fit in with school holidays. I do think the government needs to think carefully in rewriting this law. In particular they should be concerned with what is currently defined as "exceptional circumstances" under which school heads may grant permission. I do not regard "saving money" as an acceptable reason to take children out of school. On the other hand, being required by your employer to work during July and August, going to a family funeral (and maybe a wedding) are different. But should this be a decision taken by the government? The numpties in Westminister who attempt to run this country have their hearts set on turning every school in the country into academies which are apparently wonderful things - much better than schools. The big flag being waved for this is that it gives decision making power to academy heads ("leaders" in Newspeak) and yet when it comes to day to day decision making - like granting holiday permission - heads must be directed by the Secretary of State for Education. Why?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 10:20:21 AM »
In Scotand it has always been less of an issue - they are rarely declined if at all - although parents are told it will be marked down as "unauthorised absence" if they do (not that it bothers anyone). I haven't done it intentionally - although last year we booked exactly the same flying out date that we have for the two years previous to that, which was a couple of days before the end of term.

The school has a traditional end of term concert and award giving ceremony on the day prior to the last day of term (some might say the penultimate day), and I would estimate that nearly half of those receiving awards are already on holiday.

Ours don't get away scot free anyway, they will end up having to give up their sunbed at the pool to go on an educational excursion around a crumbling amphitheatre or something with their parents. Education doesn't all come from the classroom innit.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 10:21:09 AM »
We always took the kids out the week before Whit week holidays. It was the only time we could afford to go. I think they learned plenty by visiting Turkey, back then. They went to Mosques, Turkish villages, farms, on boats, tried sea fishing. Learned a few words of another language, ate different foods. They still refer back to those times with fond memories.

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 10:59:25 AM »
For several years I kept both my kids off school for the two weeks leading up to the summer holidays saving me a fortune. Both of them got 10+ GCSE's, mainly A's and nothing below C. It is up to responsible parents to make sure that they catch up on any important work missed. However in this final two weeks there was rarely much important work anyway  ;D

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 13:15:45 PM »
we never really went on holiday the odd week in Devon with the (at the time £7.50) holiday vouchers in the sun just couldn't afford it and always working until my youngest was 14 circumstances changed so the last 2 years we went to Turkey and it was at a time that the school never really bothered so haven't been affected by the rules but I feel for parents today for me its a money making exercise they use shock tactics "your children will turn in to idiots if you miss a few days of school" absolute b######s the average fine is £60 times that by 64000 is not that much in the big scheme of things but its the thin edge of the wedge. The government say we will talk to the holiday companies but there's nothing they can do its business and they don't like to upset big business so good on that man but they will change the rules to suite so enjoy it wile it lasts.
On a side note we have friends that are Dutch and they said that there rules are so strict that the police will stop families checking in if they don't have a letter stating that they can be out of school during term time that will be next           

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf