Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 1540 times)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Windows 10
« on: May 25, 2016, 08:18:06 AM »

Windows are constantly taking over my computers to "configure" or "install updates" and stopping me using it for

longer and longer periods. Then more and more pop up ads for Windows 10, which I always delete. Last night

Windows took over my computer for 20 minutes and installed Windows 10 completely, without me requesting it.

They then give a list of terms and conditions you have to agree to. I refused to accept them. they then asked

"are you sure", I said yes so they spent another 20 minutes removing 10 and restoring my settings.

What a disgusting marketing policy, Big Brother at it's worst.  Be warned.!!             >:( >:(

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 09:01:10 AM »
There are alternatives out there, a lot depends on what you use the machine for.

I'm not keen on Apple products (for several reasons) so unfortunately I need at least one Windows machine to run Adobe Creative Suite.  Elsewhere, I tend to use Linux - its faster than Windows and as its Open Source, free to download and install.

There's various versions, most of the mainstream ones are pretty stable and have decent support if you have an issue.  Long gone are the days when you needed three Masters degree in computing to install and run Linux.  The ones worth considering to start with (in no particular order) are:
  • Linux Mint - very similar user interface to Windows 7.
  • Ubuntu - one of the most popular and superb support.
  • Elementary OS - very fast and fully featured right out the box, interface similar to Mac OS.
Open/Libre Office is a free package similar to Micro$ofts Office and the documents are interchangeable between both.

Mozilla Thunderbird is a good alternative to MS Outlook.

This is an old article but it tells you a bit about the various releases: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/the-best-linux-distros-currently-available/#:MCk6Ea2QbId-UA

You can install Linux quite happily alongside Windows and choose which operating system to load when you start up.  Best thing is to use an old laptop or PC to have a play around and work out which version is best for you.

JF

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 09:39:03 AM »

You're a genius, cheers John.      ;) 

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 09:47:13 AM »
No problemo.

Just another "pro Linux" point - there are viruses (virii?) that target the Linux/Unix operating system, but they are rare at home user level and in comparison to whats flying about that attacks Windows machines the the threat level is minimal.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf