Author Topic: What a waste, to throw away thousands of pounds worth of lighting.  (Read 4973 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: What a waste, to throw away thousands of pounds worth of lighting.
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 08:19:50 AM »
I worked many moons ago as Distribution Manager for W M Lighting in Northampton. They were the suppliers of lighting to most of the large DIY, supermarkets and small independent electrical outlets. Returns were a major headache and for most outlets the policy was to destroy rather than go through the hassle of repackaging, storing goods until there was sufficient for a collection, returning, raising invoices, raising delivery notes, obtaining credit notes, safety testing, repackaging again etc.

Offline sadler

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 08:20:56 AM »
Me too Philrose. We are huge donators to the local Hospice Shop but have had to dump some really good items as the charities will not take them. Once got rid of a fully working tv for £1 on Gumtree as our only other option was taking it to the local tip! Something to do with "elf and safety" I think! :-\

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 08:42:19 AM »

Philrose & Sadler

I work as a volunteer for our local Cancer Research shop. They WILL take electrical goods as they have a branch in Scotland where it is checked out first and then sold.  I recently donated a toaster.  This was packed up and despatched to this branch to be checked and then sold.
Also at our local dump there is a walk in container where people leave items including furniture that can be re-used.
I think it so silly that a store can sell an electrical item, but once out of the box and switched on, it has to be destroyed.

Offline sadler

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 08:48:56 AM »
Possibly depends on the charity or its size Jacqui. I also give a day a week to the local hospice shop which is in a very small town and it is their policy not to take electrical items. They also won't take the old videos. Such a shame, I have seen people turned away with boxes of videos which they have taken straight to the dump.  :(

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 08:58:04 AM »
Yes, our shop does take the videos, but they are slow sellers.  Not many people have the old machines now.
It may be worth checking out your local Cancer Research Shop, just in case they have a link to another shop that sells electrical goods.
I am always sad about the earrings for pierced ears.  They are not allowed to be sold.  I do the valuations for Antiques, Collectables and Jewellery and any costume jewellery earrings for pierced ears have to be thrown away (if they have precious stones or are silver or gold, they are sold on to places like Ramsdens). This is why I always check them out first.

Offline philrose

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 09:04:01 AM »
The local charity shops in our town won't take them as they can't afford the cost of getting the items certified. I suppose with the larger charities they have a larger infrastructure/budget to do it.....

Offline Lotty

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 09:17:44 AM »
I took a brand new wheel chair (only used once from hospital door to clinic) into our local Cancer Charity shop.  They said they aren't allowed to take things with 'wheels' because of new H&S rules. Beggars belief? There is a speciality shop for things like this in Henley but so many local people in need could miss out because of these rules.

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 09:18:45 AM »
The British Heart Foundation , Emmaus, and several other larger charity shops will collect, check over, and sell on with a 3 month guarantee.  We also have doorstep collections in Cambridge where electric al items (working or not) are collected and re-used after being checked over, and if necessary repaired.  I also know of some small companies who buy returned electrical items from the bigger stores and resell them.

Offline patrice

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 09:28:04 AM »

Charities can apply to B & Q for donations such as paint etc .I am supporting a local Adult Day centre and I was given this information by the local Authorities but I have not yet followed it through .

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 09:50:57 AM »
They said they aren't allowed to take things with 'wheels' because of new H&S rules. Beggars belief?

I think you'll find that these "H&S rules" are more to do with that particular charities local donations policy, either set by the shop manager or by their regional office.  Same applies to electrical equipment - if the organisation has the facilities to test and certify electrical goods then there are no rules that say they cant then sell them.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf