Author Topic: New Government  (Read 4949 times)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: New Government
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 18:56:17 PM »

I think your glass has got a hole in it peedoff, it's empty.  Mine is half full

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 19:00:34 PM »
Kevin3 sounds like you have a drink problem. It is obviously affect your brain cells.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 19:17:53 PM »
Now, now boys. The Government is silly enough without us joining in.

Offline davybill

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 19:23:27 PM »
Keep it going lads, we are having a good laugh.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 19:33:52 PM »
Peedoff -  I'm far from a strongly politically motivated animal but I can't help but feel that Theresa May has made a pretty solid start to make things better for the country.

Admittedly, she stayed very quiet during the referendum debates but that means she can now divorce herself from any failures by the Brexiteers.

Having appointed the major Brexiteers into those key positions she can now extricate herself if things go tits up.

However, I'm hopeful. The gloom, doom, financial ruin and despondency that were forecast to follow Brexit haven't happened.

May's speech was all that anybody could reasonably hope it would be.

Nobody died. No civil war. No military junta nor armed uprising.

Britain's great -  we'll get there!

Glass 3/4 full.

Offline davybill

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 19:53:06 PM »
Peedoff -  I'm far from a strongly politically motivated animal but I can't help but feel that Theresa May has made a pretty solid start to make things better for the country.

Admittedly, she stayed very quiet during the referendum debates but that means she can now divorce herself from any failures by the Brexiteers.

Having appointed the major Brexiteers into those key positions she can now extricate herself if things go tits up.

However, I'm hopeful. The gloom, doom, financial ruin and despondency that were forecast to follow Brexit haven't happened.

May's speech was all that anybody could reasonably hope it would be.

Nobody died. No civil war. No military junta nor armed uprising.

Britain's great -  we'll get there!

Glass 3/4 full.

Couldn't agree more Stuart.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 20:25:11 PM »
Stuart, a smooth brexit with all the gains that the leave side said would come is what I would love to see.

As you know I am involved with a small company that operates in the US and the EU. All that this vote has done has caused us nothing but grief. We were in the process of trying up a deal with an American company that would have resulted in another 8 jobs being created. We have spent the last 10 days in discussions and late yesterday evening they pulled the plug on the deal. I have been working 12 hours a day. The reason being the uncertainty in what will be the outcome of this upheaval. Their final offer was to buy the company. We think the reason is that all they want to do is asset strip. So 60 jobs would disappear.

On the other side we are getting pressure from our EU customers as to whether we will be able to service them when brexit happens. One client is trying to screw us on cost. They are saying that they will be looking at our fees when the contract is renegotiated quoting that the fall in the value of sterling means they are paying us more.

The big problem is that there has never been a strategy. I accept that we have to abide by the result. All the promises on the NHS and immigration will not materialise. The Australian points system is being dropped and the £350m was fiction.

Theresa May's speech sounded good but it is delivery that counts. You made the point that if it goes wrong then we can blame Johnson and co. She is the leader and she has got to take responsibility. A concern I have is with this cabinet it is more to try and appease the Tory party rather than addressing the issues that the country faces.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 20:39:32 PM »
You're the accountant OPO but doesn't the weakening pound mean they are paying you less?

£1000 invoice Pre-Brexit = 1310 Euros

£1000 invoice  today = 1200 Euros

But then again I am easily confused by these things 8)

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 20:57:17 PM »
You are right but that is just one side of the equation. Supplier in the USA. 1000usd pre referendum is £650, today it is £758.

They invoice in USD and we have to make payments by converting Sterling.

So any gain in Euros is wiped out in USD payment. Problem is further exacerbated by the fall in USD being more than the Euro gain.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2016, 21:13:46 PM »
OPD - I don't think Theresa May's appointments have been made purely to appease the Tory party.

She's clever, calculating and covering her arse as much as reasonably practicable!

Of course you will be able to service your European counterparts. Your previous associations and reputation will surely be enough to continue a strong trading position with them.

The Americans will always think of purchase/asset stripping - that's their nature.

Offering to buy the company surely shows you the confidence they have in your organisation.

Unless you intend to build an OPD empire you're for sale! That's what companies do - American or otherwise.

Hopefully, in time, Brexit will work in your favour - unless you sell and bank the pennies!

There are only two things a company can do - grow (organically or by acquisition)  or sell up.

Your choice, old bean!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf