Author Topic: Zero hours contracts  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
Zero hours contracts
« on: July 14, 2016, 21:24:58 PM »
I feel that one of the things that this new government should do at some stage is abolish zero working hours contracts. My blood really boils when I see the effect these contracts have on ordinary working people. How can anyone justify them!!! I would love to start a petition objecting to the practice of treating people like rubbish as if they are just a throw away commodity. You constantly see programmes now where people are on the street or struggling on benefits and often it is the result of having a zero hours contract and then just being discarded or expected to pay high travel costs.

Offline Stuart T

Re: Zero hours contracts
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 21:42:21 PM »
Ideal for retirees and students.

They/we can accept or refuse work offered.

For short term or seasonal work it's okay but if a company is using it "unfairly" it's wholly wrong.

Fewer than 3% of employees are on zero hour contracts.

Abolishment would be plain silly.

Correctly used it benefits both sides.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 21:56:58 PM »
I would love to start a petition
Well, it's dead easy to do.

Unfortunately though, I won't be signing it as I agree with Stuart.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 22:04:43 PM »
I won't be signing it as I agree with Stuart.

Me too - with my pension up the Swanny it maybe the only alternative :(

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 00:38:27 AM »
There are companies like Sport Direct that virtually operate exclusively on zero rated contracts. They may be suitable for casual workers but should be properly regulated. They deprive workers of all the benefits that full time employees accrue. No holiday pay, no workers rights and no pension accruals. People working on these contracts will become a bigger financial burden on the state in the future. These contracts are totally bias towards the employer

In the financial institution that I worked in about 10% were agency contracts. Many had been there for a number of years. Saves the company from all the associated costs with employment.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 15:00:24 PM »
My domiciliary care service thrived on over 50% of the staff team being on zero hours contracts.
Benefits included:
*Staff who didnt want full time contracts so they could travel or attend Uni.
 * exceptionally low sickness records
* exceptionally high reliability
* motivated staff keen to cover all times of shifts to save up for their next trips
*Any staff who didnt make the desired standards didnt get further work, saved hours of disciplinaries and suspensions
* all staff got holiday pay based on the amount of hours worked over certain periods
* dedicated staff who requested permanent contracts if their circumstances changed  invariably got them. 
* all staff had the same mandatory training and access to non mandatory training

It worked really well. I had the best motivated team any manager could wish for and the people receiving care had motivated happy professional staff.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Offline Lynne09

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 09:04:03 AM »
I don't agree with Zero Contract for the younger generation how are they supposed to get on property ladder with no secure job or enter into pension scheme I think iemployers just exploiting them with no sick pay & no holiday pay should not be allowed!!!

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 09:54:10 AM »
Even the good old bin men are on zero contract hours in some areas.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf