Author Topic: low cost holidays  (Read 6080 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
low cost holidays
« on: July 18, 2016, 17:55:39 PM »
Yes, it has gone bankrupt, and yes our September holiday in Portugal was booked with them. Only the hotel fortunately - the flights are safe - but that is a big enough dent in our finances. I'll try negotiating with the hotel tomorrow, when I have stopped spitting feathers. Company is trying to blame Brexit for devaluing the pound. Yeah, look at those flying pigs up there!

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: low cost holidays
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 19:16:22 PM »
Sorry you have been affected Colwyn :(

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 19:26:07 PM »
Jeepers Colwyn, as much as I feel sorry for your predicament I'm astounded that someone of your intelligence/awareness etc. could book with this awful organisation. (20/20 hindsight - I know).

They moved their base to Palma, Majorca in 2013, thus excluding themselves from ATOL. To the best of my knowledge, they were never members of ABTA.

The CAA recommended not using them in 2013 despite their assurances that Spanish laws would provide sufficient protection.

Hopefully, you booked on a credit card - perhaps you can recover your monies.

Thankfully, your flights are not booked through these charlatans and I hope that your hotel can help you out.

My neighbour and her two children are amongst a 30 strong party booked to go to Spain in August with these people. All flights/hotels/transfers were prepaid.

Lowcost's problems were apparent long before Brexit!

All the best, Colwyn.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 19:43:44 PM »
My deposit was booked on credit card. But the final payment came due when I was on holiday in Turkey, and they didn't sent reminder (even though I was online). So came home to a message that my booking had expired and was invalid. I quickly phoned the company, they reinstated but wanted immediate payment, I paid on debit card. Doh. That's gone.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 20:21:04 PM »
Sorry to hear that Colwyn.
Hopefully you can sort something out with the hotel

Offline peat

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 06:02:21 AM »
Was it a Visa debit card, if so you could still get your money back.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 08:56:04 AM »
Thanks Peat. Yes, in fact I am doubly covered since I paid £300 deposit by credit card which, it appears, covers the full amount in the event of bankruptcy. I'll have to double check this today.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 09:28:51 AM »
They moved their base to Palma, Majorca in 2013, thus excluding themselves from ATOL. To the best of my knowledge, they were never members of ABTA ...

The CAA recommended not using them in 2013 despite their assurances that Spanish laws would provide sufficient protection.
Hi Stuart. I was not aware of the CAA recommendation. ATOL isn't relevant for me since I always book flights, hotels and transfers separately rather than as a package holiday. Anyway, things are looking brighter this morning.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 13:43:26 PM »
So pleased that there's light at the end of the tunnel for you.

(I suppose that if there wasn't any light it wouldn't be a tunnel, it would be a cave. Unless it was night time).

Enough - I'm rambling.

I hope all works out well for you.

There's hundreds of thousands of people whose summer holidays have been ruined by these rogues -
they kept on taking deposits just hours before their situation became widely known.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 14:09:38 PM »
(I suppose that if there wasn't any light it wouldn't be a tunnel, it would be a cave. Unless it was night time).

Or, there could be a train coming.  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf