Author Topic: low cost holidays  (Read 6081 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: low cost holidays
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 16:01:59 PM »

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2016, 17:18:49 PM »
Result!!!

Some may remember that my credit card company repaid my deposit payment (£307.50) to lowcostholidays for hotel accommodation. I was then pursuing them for the final payment (£432.02) made on debit card. I said that I had financial advice that they were liable even for the part of the payment not paid via them and would go to the Financial Ombudsman if they didn't cough up. I looked online at my current account a few minutes ago - and, hey!, in the "Money In" column there is £432.02 credit.

So for others on CBF who have problems with airlines or travel companies going bust, remember ... if part of your loss was paid by credit card then all of your loss is covered. Just be persistent.

[P.S. I can see that banks may complain that this is not fair. I have some sympathy with that view. But then credit card companies make a nice profit by us using their cards and, usually now, we have to pay a supplement for using the card. One of the reasons we are willing to pay the extra because it gives us more security for our spending. So my sympathy doesn't go very far].

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2016, 17:57:02 PM »
Great result Colwyn - very happy for you.  :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 13:50:20 PM »
My assumption that my credit card company, MBNA, had coughed up was wrong. I got a letter today saying it had been refunded to my current Santander account that I used to pay off the remaining money on debit card after making the deposit on credit card. Very easy: just one letter asking for refund and then filling in a form to claim the refund. MBNA to whom I wrote many weeks before contacting Santander have still not replied to my second letter specifying details on their form. I don't often praise banks but - well done Santander.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2016, 10:17:09 AM »
My LCH experience goes on. I had a phone call from my credit card company this morning. They were clearly going to pay the remaining monies - and just as clearly I couldn't accept it (having already been reimbursed by debit card company). But the chap kept going and began asking if I had suffered "consequential loss". That is, if my alternative accommodation had cost more than my original booking I could have reclaimed the difference if I kept the both sets of invoices. There wasn't much difference so I decided not to pursue it.

So my case is now officially closed. But I learned something. I knew I could get my money back if I was persistent enough but not that I could claim any other out-of-pocket costs. That might be useful for others in the same position in future.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf