Author Topic: Total knee replacement - daft question time!  (Read 1969 times)

Offline marina

Total knee replacement - daft question time!
« on: October 30, 2016, 14:54:53 PM »
It 's now almost four weeks since I had my total knee replacement operation.  All going well so far, pain now manageable  :o,  exercises done religiously every day  : :)  so hopefully will be able to start thinking about getting away somewhere again as we had to miss our late September/October holiday!  :(

Now for the daft question.  I'm sure it will be a pretty common occurrence knowing how many hip/knee replacement operations take place in the UK alone every year, but have any of you good people out there, who have also had this kind of surgery, experienced any problems setting off the security alarms at airports and how do you explain it. 

Don't imagine it will be too difficult at UK airports but just wondered about overseas ones.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Total knee replacement - daft question time!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 15:05:24 PM »
The present Mrs H has experienced that on a few occasions.

She suspects that whilst the components of the knee are plastic the screws that hold them together maybe a metal of some sort.

Hasn't really (k)needed to explain it just had to be scanned again by hand.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 15:07:44 PM »
Depends on the replacement joint.  If its ceramic then it wont set off anything.

If its a metal joint then it may or may not set off the alarm on the scanner, some do and some don't.  I wouldn't worry, its commonplace and the majority of staff at security will be aware of the procedure.  If it's a Turkish airport, just point to your knee and say "Yeni diz eklemi", they'll get it then and should run the "wand" over the joint to check.  Worthwhile wearing loose clothing so you can show the scar - and I'm being serious.  If you get a jobsworth (at any airport) they may want to check.

Forget doctors letters and the various replacement joint cards, they're worthless.

JF

Offline marina

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 15:22:10 PM »
Thanks, am sure there are metal parts in the joint so will expect to set off a few scanners somewhere.  :D

Offline CAROL BROWNE

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 16:48:12 PM »
i've had 2 knee replacements always sets the alarms off

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 17:18:36 PM »

Don't be alarmed marina, just enjoy your holiday. You've earned it.

Offline marina

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 17:20:43 PM »
Oh dear,   ;D   thanks kevin   

Offline blueclad

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 18:05:24 PM »
I have had My right knee total replacement  2 years ago and set off alarms at Dalaman Alicante Paphos Gatwick and Bournemouth airports , no real problems at security  I just pointed to my knee and said New knee , HOWEVER my left knee total replacement done august this year was a problem at Gatwick the other week as it set off alarms and a mass of security turned up  whilst I was sitting in a airport wheelchair at the scanner   , even the porter ran off , all due to a mixture of steel rods steel pins  And a complete steel  larger knee cap due to rotted bones being removed , all was ok once I showed then the image of my knee , on the way back I just showed the image of my left knee at Malaga airport and had no problems,
just go  Marina and enjoy your holiday

Offline marina

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 18:12:47 PM »
Thanks blueclad, it certainly won't stop me going anywhere. Have a lot of plans for next year once I can walk pain free again! That's until the other one needs doing!!

Offline davybill

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 06:37:30 AM »
My wife had a new metal hip, she always sets the  alarms off at Dalaman airport.
she just points at it and says meta"ll they seem to understand but still scan it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf