Author Topic: United States Election  (Read 16462 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: United States Election
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 12:24:20 PM »
We seem to have an unusual (perhaps unique) consensus on this thread. Still if we are worried in the UK what about those people living in the Baltic States? Trump has said he thinks NATO is outdated and that if these states were invaded by Russia, a distinct possibility, there would be no reason for the USA to help them.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 12:28:40 PM »
As it stands 123,890 (010 %) more people have voted for Clinton.

And over 5 million voted for neither.

And we thought we were a divided nation.  :(

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 13:07:33 PM »
I think what annoys me here is.  Our British news is reporting this and dedicating hours and hours to this news. I don't know what more they can say. I have heard it all now.  I would like to see some of our own news.  I note from the Internet that there has been a tram crash in Croyden, with people dead and injured.   I watched Sky and BBC News this morning and there was no British News.
I have been to the States many times and know they are not very interested in our news and give it little or no air time.   I bet they would not be dedications so much air time to us.

Offline Stopfordian

• Certified incomprehensible
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2016, 13:32:51 PM »

Look on the bright side. Mr Obama said Britain would be at the back of the queue for trade deals.
  Mr Trump seems to be saying the opposite?.

What exactly has Trump said that he hasn't contradicted himself on five minutes later?

Ahh, just a comment villain. You look on the dark side if you like. I have a more positive outlook about life.   ;D

There we have it: It turns out that it was actually the stupid that inherited the earth. The meek were merely bystanders.

In my experience, it is the people who whinge and whine about everything that they don't agree with, while at the same time cannot say in their OWN words WHY they don't agree who are the stupid ones.

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2016, 13:39:35 PM »
So what are Trump's policies,  then? Give me a list and we'll examine them.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2016, 13:49:23 PM »
Very impressive use of the quote, inside a quote, inside a quote, (....) function lads but anything over four levels gives me a headache. Could you curtail it now? Please?

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2016, 13:55:38 PM »
Old Chinese curse -

"May you live in interesting times"

(another is "may your son become a doctor and you be his only patient" but that's not really relevant).

I didn't know who I wanted to win at the outset - neither really. Predictable Clinton (who I just couldn't warm to at all) or wholly unpredictable Trump.

Anyway, I stayed up all night watching this and as each state went red I started to smile. Don't know why - just appealing to the hitherto unknown anarchist element that must have been hidden in me all this time.

Plus - for all the wrong reasons that Trump made it ("whitelash" etc.) he, at least, acknowledges Britain's existence which is more than Obama or Hillary Clinton have ever done or were ever likely to.

Dear Mr. Trump now we're moving out of the EU please can you fix it for us to become the 51st State (a sunny one, please).

He may even pay to rebuild Hadrian's Wall (and get the Scots to pay).

Sorted.

Offline Stopfordian

• Certified incomprehensible
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2016, 14:15:29 PM »

I have no idea about, and no interest in his policies, villain. It makes no difference to me who won.
  Having said that I did vote to leave the EU. Read into that what you misguidedly will.
  Oh yes, keep abreast of Italian and French press for the next 18 months.

Nice chatting.   :)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2016, 14:21:56 PM »
Rather than running around like Chicken Little saying "The Sky is Falling" I prefer to remember that US Presidents have mostly symbolic power and little real political clout unless they can get Congress on their side. Both the House of Representatives and the Senate are likely (almost certain) to be in the hands of Republicans. Which might have been good for Trump except that he has spent the last year or so slagging off the leading Republicans almost as much as he has been attacking Clinton. A great many of them made it clear that he disgusted them and that many of his stated aims were ludicrous. To get anything through Congress he has to persuade sufficient of them to vote for his policies to overcome the Democrat opposition. A wall along the Mexican border, giving the South Koreans nuclear weapons, leaving NATO, banning all Moslems from entering the USA; how many of these will get through Congress do you suppose? I reckon Trump will have to come back to the famous "Middle Ground" to get anything done.

That's my version of optimism; the best I can do today.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2016, 14:54:40 PM »

Look on the bright side. Mr Obama said Britain would be at the back of the queue for trade deals.
  Mr Trump seems to be saying the opposite?.

What exactly has Trump said that he hasn't contradicted himself on five minutes later?

Ahh, just a comment villain. You look on the dark side if you like. I have a more positive outlook about life.   ;D

There we have it: It turns out that it was actually the stupid that inherited the earth. The meek were merely bystanders.

.. and there we have it! Holier than though left winger calling anyone who disagrees with his opinion, stupid.

I guess you'll be calling for a re-run in the US seeing it went against your view?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf