Author Topic: English Phone  (Read 2252 times)

Offline DaveKaren

English Phone
« on: August 24, 2011, 17:15:05 PM »
Can you put a turkish Sim card into a english phone, if so where is the best place to go to do this thanks

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
English Phone
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 17:30:00 PM »
Yes you can as long as the phone is not locked to one provider. Only problem is - unless you register the phone in Turkey it will probalby get blocked within about 2 weeks maximum and will stay blocked when you enter Turkey again.

You might be better off buying a pre-paid sim or special 'holiday' sim in the UK.

Another option - if you have a smart phone - is to downlaod and use Skype when you can get a wifi connection.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 17:31:48 PM by stoop »

Offline yakamoz

English Phone
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 14:19:03 PM »
where and how do you register phone?

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
English Phone
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 14:41:59 PM »
You need to ask at the shop where you buy your sim card. However we did try this a few years back and they said they had done it but we still got blocked. We ended up buying a new phone in the end for about 100ytl including sim and some credit. This time it was registered correctly and still works.

Offline Gary-O

English Phone
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 18:47:20 PM »
The Turkcell shop in Fethiye will register your phone, the cost when i did mine at the beginning of the year was either 5 or 10Tl, you will also be able to purchase a sim card there.

Offline happy_flyer

English Phone
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 21:42:39 PM »
I had phone problems while i was out there in August and tried to get a sim card and get my phone registered but the girl in the Turkcel shop said it would take at least aweek for the phone to work after the sim is fitted.

Alan.

Offline Jim Fraser

English Phone
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 22:51:54 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by happy_flyer

I had phone problems while i was out there in August and tried to get a sim card and get my phone registered but the girl in the Turkcel shop said it would take at least aweek for the phone to work after the sim is fitted.

Alan.

Yes rules have changed slightly - we have done this twice in the last 3 months, registration took about 3 days - and costs are up a bit - somewhere in the region of 30-40 lira now for SIM and registration admin costs.

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
English Phone
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 10:34:59 AM »
If you have a UK "unlocked" phone it will work the same day with Avea. Baris in the main shop (on the right walking from the market towards the centre & before the PTT) speaks very good English & is exceptionally helpful.

Offline braveheart

English Phone
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 15:52:59 PM »
english phone?
Try a Scottish one - it may work

Offline Bluwise

English Phone
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 20:08:23 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Supacabby

If you have a UK "unlocked" phone it will work the same day with Avea. Baris in the main shop (on the right walking from the market towards the centre & before the PTT) speaks very good English & is exceptionally helpful.

Baris is wonderful!  He also helped me this year to sort a mini sim for my ipad.  I have no idea what he did but after signing many, many bits of paper (I only wanted an internet connection!) he explained I would need to renew after 3 months.  Worried I may not be back in time, I asked how I could do this from the UK?  As it was like trying to teach a 2yr old to program a computer, he offered to do this for me and I left a few TL with him to do it.  True to his word, when we returned, he sorted it all out.  
He is really helpful, patient and from my experience, trustworthy.  I can recommend him if anyone needs help with iPad connection etc.  I will be back to see him next year to get my connection going again!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf