Author Topic: Pool maintenance contracts- does this include sand replacement?  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Jan-Jeff

Hi just a quickie, not sure how we stand with holiday letting and pool maintenance. Letting a villa, which is being sub-let to others on a casual basis. Who is "legally" responsible for the cost of replacement of materials in particular, sand? Is it the tenant, or the owner? In this case, there was a new pump and sand fitted at the end of the summer season last year, ready for possible holiday letting this year. If the sand needs replacing after only a few weeks, likely due to use of sun cream while swimming, is the cost of replacement down to the owner, or the tenant? There is a signed contract where it states pool maintenance is down to the tenant. If any problems are caused by mis-use of the pool,  even unintentional, resulting in necessary sand replacement, does anyone know who is responsible...? I would have thought the tenant, who should explain to the sub-lets about showering off any sun lotions before using the pool to avoid damage to the pump and sand.
Advice listened to, and appreciated!  ;D as we're not sure if we have a right to refuse to cough up!

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Re: Pool maintenance contracts- does this include sand replacement?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 12:44:49 PM »
If I was staying at your place as a holiday rental and you asked me to pay for the sand I would tell you to jog on.
If you have an agreement with whoever is renting long term then just follow that agreement in my opinion.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 13:10:11 PM »
I would have thought the owner was responsible.
Depends on the rental agreement of course.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 14:18:51 PM »
If the tenants have signed a contract which states pool maintenance is down to the tenant then I think you have your answer.

Offline Jan-Jeff

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 14:46:34 PM »
Thanks guys, yes, its a fairly long-term rental to someone who is renting out short-term, and we have a pool maintenance clause in the contract. It doesn't specifically mention sand but that all goes with the maintenance I would have said too. Now its clearer in my mind how to go about reminding him we have a signed contract.
Cheers :-)

Offline Gary-O

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 19:09:00 PM »
I would check that the sand was actually changed last year, sun tan lotion or not, if the sand was replaced last year it shouldn't need changing again for at least 3/4 years.

I would say that the maintenance would be for the day to day cleaning and chemicals, anything else hoover, pump, sand, re-grouting would be the responsibility of the owner, unless it states specifically individual items in the rental agreement.

Offline jackstee

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 10:04:21 AM »
Yes
Garry is rigoutines are carried out correctlyht. The sand should last for a few years if the daily routines are carried out correctly.
The sand, by the way, is not beach sand it is a special "course" sand and will not block as quickly, last longer and filter better. Beach sand is very fine and smooth.
If all else fails, when pool is empty, open filter, if the top is sticky and hard roughen it up (carefully) with a trowel and tip in a bucket of warm soapy water. Leave for a couple of days, roughen up again and the push a hose into the sand and let run, slowly for a day or so.. Most of the old oils will come out.

Offline Eric

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 19:05:53 PM »
Jeez, you are arguing over a  few liras worth of sand!  You signed a contract where the tenant is responsible.  End of, pay up!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Pool maintenance contracts- does this include sand replacement?
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 19:40:43 PM »
Erm, they aren't the tenant Eric.

Offline Eric

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 20:05:42 PM »
OK, so they are the sub-lets???? Not very clear.  If so I think that is not totally legal anyway.  If that is so then it is the tenants, they should pay up and not be so pedantic about 80 TL worth of sand.  Never mind trying to rinse it etc.  Just replace it.  We have 3 dogs, and have to replace the sand every 2 years because they love to swim in the pool and their fur clogs up the system.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf