Author Topic: Do I need a lawyer to buy a house ?  (Read 3999 times)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Re: Do I need a lawyer to buy a house ?
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 14:45:41 PM »
European estates have been in business for over 20 years.. I have known at least 5 friends who have bought from with no problems whatsoever.. All re sales... Don't know if this is less problematical?  I personally would trust them... The agent we bought off years ago told me that the lawyers in |Fethiye are more corrupt than most of the agents... lol

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 16:50:13 PM »
I would like a bit of advice if possible, we are in the process of buying a house through European Estates from a British couple. The process seams quite straight forward however, is there any need to employ a lawyer to oversee this ?
With a decent agent there is no need to employ a solicitor, you'd effectively be paying two people to do the same job.  A good agent will do all the required checks and searches, at the end of the day he wants a smooth transaction for both buyer and seller.  European Estates have been around for years and any time I've had dealings with them found them to be very professional.

Definitely use a lawyer ! You wouldn't do it in the UK without one !
They're not buying in the U.K., they're buying in Turkey.  Different process and generally speaking, Turkish lawyers take nothing to do with conveyancing - they don't even learn about it during their training!

Using a solicitor is no guarantee that everything will go smoothly - its not the U.K. and solicitors in Turkey very often have different perceptions as to what "acting in the clients best interest" actually means.  Go read the Manzara Construction thread as this illustrates the mindset of a local solicitor who is often recommended on here (used Ozlen myself in the past without an issue).

the point is, choosing the right agent is as important or more important than using a solicitor (in my opinion).
Totally agree.

JF

Offline George Warner

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 18:20:54 PM »
We also used European Estates when we bought in 2004,absolutely first class service and have had no problems when recommending them.
Regular contact from them during the purchase to tell us what was happening and the Tapu delivered within their time scale.

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 07:17:50 AM »
We also used European Estates when we bought in 2004,absolutely first class service and have had no problems when recommending them.
Regular contact from them during the purchase to tell us what was happening and the Tapu delivered within their time scale.

Totally agree, first class service.

Offline Gus and Fiona

• Newly Registered
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 20:32:43 PM »
Thank you all for your replies, they have been very useful. I think we have had the full spectrum of views so it has given us plenty to think about.

Once again thank you all for your help in this.

Gus and Fiona

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf