Author Topic: Ridiculous Quotes  (Read 5645 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Ridiculous Quotes
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 21:51:02 PM »
Would you not wish to "name and fame" him, tonysue

Offline tonysue

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 22:10:11 PM »
 Celal, I have his number too but dont want to be accused Skimming  :o :P

Offline Piscoe

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 08:47:30 AM »
We used to get ridiculous quotes for everything, even small repairs. Now we have Dr John or his son Cem (neighbours) organise repairs etc. who are the most trustworthy people who know exactly who to use and what to pay.

Its not always easy to find someone that you can trust to that extent but there are lots of people recommended on here for all sorts of services so my advice is search for what you need here.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 08:57:40 AM »
Yes I was going to say the same - double glazing is a major job and one of just a handful of industries in the UK where we would pretty much expect fun and games prior to finding the real price.

The deeply frustrating thing about Turkey is that it happens on all levels, the double glazing right down to needing one nut and bolt this size - nearly everyone seems to have your cash in their sights, and not just a small mark up.

Offline mog

• Newly Registered
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 10:21:25 AM »
Being ripped off by every" tradesman" in Fethiye was indeed a learning curve for us. We luckily found a man who arranges all our building and maintenance and now we never go anywhere else. He replaced our roof and when a neighbour wanted the same job done he got 3 quotes. one quote was 3 times the price.
We were fortunate enough to benefit from mistakes others had made when we bought 6 years ago. We are just as fortunate to still have the same contractor to look after our site and everyone's problems. He is a freind to all and would do anything for anyone.
He just rings someone to arrange any jobs that owners need doing and makes nothing. If he should arrange to do any major jobs he collects quotes from each trade that is used and adds 10%. He then takes responsibilty for the whole job.

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 22:03:36 PM »
The paint is already peeling in some places on our villa and it was only completed 2 years ago. Its been patched a few times by the builder. I don't know the reason for this - whether the paint was put on before the underlying plaster was completely dry - or whether the wrong type of paint was used - or whatever. We have painted render on our house in the UK and it lasts for many years. Bad workmanship in our Turkish villa, poor/wrong product? How to fix so paintwork can last for at least 5 years?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 22:50:30 PM »
Sounds like no barrier against damp - a common problem and there's no easy remedy. Rubbing down and painting every year or two (depending on the extent of the problem and the dampness of the area) is about the best option without huge expense. By coincidence I saw photos of the one year old Jiva Beach Resort Hotel tonight, and it appears to have big damp problems too.

Offline quackers

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 05:54:24 AM »
ArtyMar ıf you saw how much water was pumped for weeks from your plot you would know why you have this problem. We are all built on reclaimed reed beds and its a common problem round here. Bıte the bullet and rub down and repaınt or get ıt treated but that will only last a couple of years then back to square one. Our treatment has lasted 2 years so far but bet we have to start agaın next year. What not to do is put slate/tile claddıng on the area outside because the damp will go inside and up higher.

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 16:16:56 PM »
Yeah, thanks Scunner and Quackers, I'll ask Rainbow's opinion also when I see them next week. To do rub down and repaint seems like a big expensive job, requiring scaffold etc and all this when we don't even have a Tapu in our names!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 16:42:24 PM »
Scaffold!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf