Author Topic: Ridiculous Quotes  (Read 5646 times)

Offline Hamlet

Re: Ridiculous Quotes
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 17:09:35 PM »
Turkish definition of scaffold: 2 x pieces of old 3x3 timber knocked into the wall at 90(ish) degrees, 3 metres apart with a 6x1 piece of old twisted timber laid accross the 2.  :-\ 8)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 18:03:06 PM »
We have a few patches of flaking paint around our place, we scrape it off & repaint the few patches every year. Its all low down though, no need for scaffold. I think it is just poor (non existent) damp proofing. Someone suggested painting first with a damp repelling paint but if the damp is rising it will come out somewhere so its easier to just patch it.

Offline jackstee

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 09:06:01 AM »
Interestingly enough.

Watched Grif Riss Jones last night on the restoration of an old farm. First episode.
It was very good.
Comments by builder, aritech(Spelling) and restorer is that. These buildings don't have rising damp or damp courses. Dont install one or you will get damp.
My, sorry , our hose has 2 foot thick walls and we dont get damp patches.

Also, interesting enough.
Put some long hair on Andy and he will be a twin for Riss.
LOL

Offline WendyA

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 12:22:20 PM »
Why is it in Turkey that we are often asked what we have paid for something previously before any further quote is given, too??!

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 15:43:44 PM »
So they can undercut by just enough to get the job without going too low. 8)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 15:48:11 PM »
Someone over there told me that what happens is, they quote a price and if you show surprise (a happy surprise) then they up the next quote for the next people. They continue to do this until the look of happy surprise doesn't come and that's the correct price.

Offline WendyA

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 15:54:44 PM »
I think that's more like it!

We met some people who had a larger villa and garden maintained for 500TL a 1/4.  They chanced their arm, asked how much we were paying for a more 'professional' outfit, then tried to say £1000 a year.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 16:20:11 PM »
A year or two ago I received a call from a guy who tries to sell houses (even though he isn't an agent) telling me he had Russian customers who were very interested in our house. He further explained that they would expect to see the house in perfect condition - so he would need to arrange to have it cleaned and the garden done. Also, Russians are put off by empty pools with leaves in the bottom, he told me, but he could get the pool cleaned and up and running easily.

With all the above he was certain they would buy it. Out of vague interest I asked him how much the cleaning, garden tidy and pool would cost. £1,200!!!

When I told him to sling his hook he said he could arrange it for £600. I told him I simply wasn't interested, and that if these Russian people can't imagine what a pool might look like filled then they shouldn't be buying property abroad.

Somewhat disappointingly he informed me later that day that the Russian couple (who you will remember would definitely buy my house) had decided on reflection not to view it at all :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf