Author Topic: Export a piece of furniture  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Export a piece of furniture
« on: September 29, 2013, 05:03:36 AM »
We have a buyer for our Turkish property. All the furniture is included with the exception of a wooden cabinet we had made when we bought the place. I had intended to sell it separately but it cost us a lot and Nick thinks we might not be able to sell it because we would want too much money for it. I'm going to test the water by trying when I get out there in October but I was wondering about getting it back to the uk. It is very beautiful and I'd be very happy to keep it in the uk. Anyone got any experience of importing a bit if furniture, costs, best way of doing it.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Libra

Re: Export a piece of furniture
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 07:34:47 AM »
Asking an international cargo company like UPS e.g. might give some hints.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 09:23:44 AM »
I think you will find that exporting just one piece of furniture is going to be expensive.  I had many enquiries when I used to sell furniture in the U.K. but the price to send it abroad was horrendous, plus on top of the price to send you have to take out separate insurance with a lot of the shipping companies. 
I also used to send furniture within the U.K. and that became far too expensive.  The last item i sent from Aberdeen to London via D.H.S. was about 7 years ago.  It cost around £100.00 to send plus £27.00 to insurance. Just as well I took out insurance as it arrived in London in three pieces, and it was actually a small cast iron stick/umbrella stand.

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 07:25:38 AM »
Thanks Jacqui YOUR answer was very useful, a personal experience which makes me think that I'll sell it instead, Of course I have already looked at the shipping companies but surprisingly they didn't mention something arriving in 3 bits Id hate to go through all the hassle only to sling it on my fire when it arrives here !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf