Author Topic: Starting out in our new property  (Read 2679 times)

Offline LEES

Starting out in our new property
« on: October 19, 2013, 09:39:49 AM »
Hello everyone,
We bought our apartment in February and are finally coming over for our first visit ;D.
It has been such a valuable experience reading the posts for the last couple of months, thanks to all.
I have made a list of stuff to do on our first visit and would be grateful for any comments and suggestions as I am sure that I haven't thought of everything.
1 Bank Account,
2 sort out water and electricity payments
3 sort out Council Tax ? Where?
4 Enjoy

Any other suggestions please?
Thanks,
Lees

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Starting out in our new property
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 09:48:08 AM »
The Council Tax Office is just along from Migros walking away form the town centre it's easy to find.
I would find someone to take out a maintenance contract with, so they can call in and check the place when you are away.  Also, leave all the interior doors open and the small bathroom windows ( make sure they have bars).  This stops damp.
If I where you I would go to someone like Yakup who is an official translator and works from his wife Lynda's shop in Fethiye.   I have to say he saved us so much time and energy (so we could enjoy or holiday).  He will sort everything out for you and go with you to all the offices etc., and translate for you.  His charges are really reasonable and IMO worth every penny.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 09:49:33 AM »
We needed to open a bank account before we could buy , has this changed? I think you need to go into the bank ( choose carefully!) with your tax number, address and passports. You can also arrange to pay your water and electricity through the bank by direct debit. The council tax office is upstairs in the council offices just by Migros in town. You need your Tapu.

Offline jackstee

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 09:57:43 AM »
The problem with paying electricity and water by DD IF you don't live here permanently is that if there is a mistake in the bill, you pay it anyway and if you don't get back here for 4 months, little chance of getting it back.
One of my bills was nearly 500 pounds(in TL) thr hose had been shut down for 3 months with only one long life lamp on for security.
As we paid a small amont each month for someone to keep an eye on the place, and pay the bills, they took it up with the electricity company and they found a faulty meter.

Offline LEES

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 10:02:05 AM »
Wow so quick ;D We have a maintenance contract, and yes it is possible to buy the property without having a bank account, we have the tax number and are collecting the Tapu from the Solicitor when we arrive, she has also registered the electricity and water accounts. Have been able to sort out insurance from this end. We are so excited to be coming and just a bit sad to have missed the summer, anyway many more to come.

Offline Somerset Simon

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 13:55:16 PM »
We use Garanti bank to pay our electric, but not by DD but by the "pay an organisation option". All you need is your 8 digit meter number ( add zeros at beginning to make 8 digits ) and it automatically brings up the amount owed before you pay so you remain in control. The Aydem website has a really easy check my bill option to track money owed before you log on to pay.

Offline savoyboy

• Chiswick, London, UK
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 16:51:20 PM »
Good to hear a nice happy ending.
 Wish you all the best and happiness.

Offline LEES

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 17:24:14 PM »
  :)Thanks everyone

Offline Menthol

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 18:57:04 PM »
Good luck with everything - bet you are very excited!

Just my opinion but not been over the moon with ING Bank so far - opened the account about 5 weeks ago.

Finansbank haven't given me the same concerns but not really been with either long enough to definitely recommend or definitely warn you off.

Might take up Jacqui's recommendation of a 'fix it' person when I'm at your stage though. I tend to always want to be independent and do things the hard way but I reckon I'll get plenty of practice with all that sort of thing further down the line ...   :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 19:49:04 PM »
I would totally recommend a "fix it person"..   When we had our latest tour to sort out problems we took Yakup, who is a lovely guy and has an equally lovely wife.   After we sailed through all the "problems" we though we had, with Yakup's perfect translation and help, we asked him how much.  When he told us, Phil gave him double, as he said it was soooooo worth it.  We actually had to force Yakup to take it..
Why put yourself though hassle when you can get it done smoothly and trouble free.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf