Author Topic: WiFi Extender working in Calis  (Read 1690 times)

Offline teide1

• Sheffield, UK
WiFi Extender working in Calis
« on: November 12, 2013, 18:58:25 PM »
Can anyone offer some advice please? Wifi reception is not good throughout our villa and I intend bringing a  Wifi extender over next time to try and extend the coverage. The type where one unit plugs into the router and an electrical socket and the other (receiver) plugs into the room with poor reception. I understand that they use the electrical wiring in the property to carry the signal through. 
Has anyone tried this successfully as my concerns are that Turkey is a different voltage to the UK and also that there is not an earth cable in the sockets. I am not sure whether either of these make any difference and so would appreciate helpful comments.
If the UK version does not work are they available in Fethiye / Calis. Many thanks.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: WiFi Extender working in Calis
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 19:09:20 PM »
Also both 'ends' need to be on the same circuit which is the case in the UK but not entirely guaranteed over there.

I have had great results from a repeater - this one in fact: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA850RE-300Mbps-Universal-Extender/dp/B00AHXXJVW/ - we had real problems with the router at the front of our place meaning very little wifi at the back of it. This has solved that entirely. You position it around halfway between router and poor signal part of the house.

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 19:39:58 PM »
I agree with Scunner regarding the electric circuits in your home. We are on 3 phase supply and unless the room in which your modem is connected and the room in which you want another connection are on the same phase you will probably encounter connection problems.

Earlier this year I installed a WiFi repeater at the top of our stairs so I could get a signal upstairs and it works so well I installed another out on our veranda last month so I can sit out in the sun and still get a great connection.

I also installed one for a friend so they now get a signal in all rooms of their Bungalow.

I got them from eBay for £16 each (buy now, not auction). 8)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 19:59:09 PM »
We definitely have sockets on different phases at our place so would doubt it would work unless you get the right circuit or you buy one that picks up the wifi & repeats it.
In the UK I have a sky router and the wifi signal is crap outside of the lounge. I bought a Netgear repeater and to set it up plugged it in a socket 3m from the router, set it up then tried for a wifi signal around the house. I now have a full signal all around and have left the repeater in the lounge, it obviously emits a stronger signal than my router.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf