Author Topic: New Bank Account advise please  (Read 6690 times)

Offline paz

New Bank Account advise please
« on: April 15, 2014, 02:45:43 AM »
Some years ago we opened accounts with Finans bank and Garanti Bank. The former was initially as a small savings account for "Emergencies" and Garanti for Direct Debits. We also had had a current "card" account with Finans which we ended up closing because we kept just getting charges till it dwindled down to nothing.  Our problem is that our Finanse account can only be accessed on a certain day of the month and we never seem to be on holiday at the right time. So, when we come over next, we need to open an account where we can keep emergency money at a decent interest rate and be able to deposit or withdraw on any date without a lot of charges.  Any ideas please.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Re: New Bank Account advise please
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 07:25:02 AM »
When you open a savings account here it's usually on a monthly or longer basis, you have a anniversary date very month, on this day you decide what to do with the accrued interest.
In your case send Finans an e mail or call in and see them next time you are over and then leave instructions on what you want them to do each month, ie put interest back into saving account or transfer into daily account which you can access easily when on holiday.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 09:16:47 AM »
Both Finansbank (double egg) and Ing (Orange) have accounts that earn interest and can be accessed any day of the week. However the interest rate for the Finansbank double egg account is pretty poor by comparison to the Ing Orange account, to the tune of several interest points difference. ING also now has a user friendly web site if you need to do any internet banking.

Other banks may have the same types of accounts now too but I have no information on them - others may know.

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 09:20:33 AM »
Highly recommend Finans double egg account. Interest is 6.5% at present, but you can draw anytime without loss of interest.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 09:24:35 AM »
Garanti Bank Fethiye, I can not speak highly enough regarding the services of Alper.  I can email him, or telephone, last time I telephoned he just said I am on the other line will phone you back on this number, he didn't ask who was calling, I thought this strange, yet2 minutes later he returned my call to the UK, I explained that our holiday was midway through interest period, he said that it was not a problem and could arrange a withdrawal and not lose interest, he sorted other matters out for me too. I wish all customer services was like this.  interest at this moment 11%

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 13:53:47 PM »
Both TEB and HSBC have daily interest accounts, currently paying approx 9.5%, but there is a maximum that you can have in the account and earn interest, and in the case of the HSBC I think I am right in saying that the first 2000 TL does not earn interest.  having said that the HSBC account (The Modern Account is the brand name) is in effect your current account, so you can do whatever you do with your current account pay DD's, internet banking, make other payments etc. plus earn a very nice rate of interest.

Offline paz

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 01:37:54 AM »
Thank you for your input. This gives us a few options. This "Double Egg" account at Finans, is this a daily interest account ? We originally had a daily interest account with them but our balance was only a couple of hundred pounds and the charges depleted the balance over the years. I suppose the key is to deposit enough so that the interest is more than the charges? Is this correct? Also, please advise where ING bank is in relation to Finans and Garanti. Thank you

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 06:23:42 AM »
I think all banks will charge you unless there are at least 2 direct debits set up on your account. yesterday Garanti was 10.4 for 32 days, internet banking is very easy with them and you can register your UK mobile to do this.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 07:01:51 AM »
12% on a 50 day account from today at Finans   :)

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 07:18:48 AM »
Spot on Tinks. was in there myself yesterday doing a little wheeling and dealing.  :)  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf